Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Old school animation - true skill
Posted By: 3SunsDate: 12/29/06 4:33 a.m.

In Response To: Okay, now its done (Narcogen)

First of all, thanks Narc. Great read, and exactly what I was looking for - pointing out some things that I missed and providing a different perspective for the things I did see.

One thing in particular, I too, was blown away by the animation studio - which consisted of a couple of video cameras on tripods situated around a few tumbling mats. My initial reaction was embarrassment, "Why would Bungie even show that in the video? Don't they know that we have seen video of the Epic motion capture studio for Gears?" etc.. I couldn't believe that they would want anyone to know they had no motion capture studio, or that they basically just made some home videos for animation reference. But as I thought about it, I remembered that since Halo 1 (actually all along their games have looked great), Bungie has had some of the most impressive animation in the industry. Certainly, even now, they are with the elite few in providing full boarding animations etc. So, what is going on?

When I read Narc's highlight on the animation studio thing it got me thinking again. Actually, if I were one of the animators, it would be with pride that I would show what little resources I used to work my craft. If I were a developer, or animation studio looking for great animators, I would want these guys, because they do it all by hand (or from scratch), so to speak. They understand the fundamentals of movement and are able to re-create it. They can express what they see.

Anyway, what was first embarrassing, then puzzling, has now become cause for respect. Also, though this is probably much more from the programmers than the artist/animators, the feature of "inclination acclimation" has got me very excited. The total package will definitely be more immersive.

Message Index

Replies:

Saving this thread for Narc's analysis of Vidoc3Suns 12/28/06 5:50 a.m.
     Re: Saving this thread for Narc's analysis of VidoUrsusArctos 12/28/06 5:30 p.m.
           He meant the Brute doc, not the adCowOnTheNews 12/28/06 8:39 p.m.
                 Okay, now its doneNarcogen 12/29/06 2:00 a.m.
                       Old school animation - true skill3Suns 12/29/06 4:33 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, now its donetommiwan 12/29/06 9:01 a.m.
                       Character depictionUrsusArctos 12/29/06 9:23 a.m.
                             Re: Character depictionscarab 12/29/06 10:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Character depictionUrsusArctos 12/29/06 6:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Character depictionscarab 12/30/06 3:59 a.m.
     Haven't done it yetNarcogen 12/29/06 12:41 a.m.
           Sorry, Narc. My bad. *NM*UrsusArctos 12/29/06 8:20 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.