Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive Storytelling
Posted By: Tempus Fugit <chocolatestarfish14@web.de>Date: 9/28/06 5:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive Storytelling (ShortRoundMcfly)

I think what he means is that he wants to tell stories in a cinematic way using videogame technology. He talked to AICN about this subject before he announced the MS/Halo deal.

He has many great ideas, great scripts and good stories sitting around but he can't make movies out of them because he doesn't have enough time and ressources to work on that many projects at one time.

But now imagine you could tell these stories in an exciting, cinematic and involving way, you don't have to cram the stories into a 2 hour movie and the budget to realise even the most epic stories is much smaller than a big budget Hollywood movie on that scale.

You take these stories, license a game engine, hire videogame developers and you basically develop a movie with polygonal models and geometry in an existing game engine. The story is going to play out in real time in front of the player, powered by his own Xbox 360 and even better, he is going to be able to interact with the - for the lack of a better word - "movie" in certain key moments. Sort of like Dragons Lair, Zork and all that FMV game kind of stuff.

But you are not looking at video sequences here, it's all being rendered in real time on your Xbox 360 while you are watching it. I don't know how this concept is going to seperate itself further from the cheesy FMV games of the 90's but I think it's a very good idea. Especially in combination with XBL where you can distribute new episodes of your digital miniseries on a regular basis.

That's the way I understand it. I could be totally wrong, but I like to think I'm right because I really like the idea.

I love the idea that the whole project has a focus on the story.

Like digital graphic novels this concept is really cool but at the same time really hard to explain to people who don't get it. You have to show it to them.

Poor Peter Jackson has to try to sell this concept to an audience of journalists who don't have clue what he is talking about.

Message Index

Replies:

X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive StorytellingTempus Fugit 9/28/06 4:02 p.m.
     Re: X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive StorytellingShortRoundMcfly 9/28/06 4:21 p.m.
           Re: X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive StorytellingTempus Fugit 9/28/06 5:02 p.m.
                 Re: X06 Peter Jackson on Interactive StorytellingSPARTACVS 9/28/06 11:08 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.