Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer
Posted By: DoT_Gunslinger <Th3.Gunslinger@gmail.com>Date: 9/26/06 1:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer (Recon#54)

It seems few of those replying read the entire article in question. Please note that there is a second page to the article.

I am not offended by your statement at all as you were expessing similar feelings than I was stating. I am frustrated at people on XBL who believe that to dominate in Halo you need to play all the time, which you agreed in your reply that that is not true. We are agreeing on this subject so I don't know why I would be angry with you.

Back to the article, the author complains in the article that he does not have the chunks of time necessary to get "in the zone" and as such does not develop the skills to blow through games fast enough to complete the entire game before losing interest. While skill is somewhat inherent many times conditioning has a lot to do with developing skill. Completing games quickly requires less deaths, which requires skill. So I don't know how you can say completing games quickly is all about the time you have to play the game! He was saying those with more time to spend on the game actually finish more quickly than those who can only play here and there. ie Powergamer finishes in 2 5 hour sessions, whereas it takes him 15 2 hour sessions to accomplish the same goal.

The author even reminesces about the times when he had the sizeable chunks of time each day necessary to devote to games to become good enough at it to beat the whole game in a reasonable amount of time.

Message Index

Replies:

Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer3Suns 9/25/06 7:00 p.m.
     Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerDoT_Gunslinger 9/25/06 9:33 p.m.
           Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer3Suns 9/26/06 1:34 a.m.
                 Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerDoT Gunslinger 9/26/06 9:09 a.m.
                       Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer3Suns 9/26/06 5:57 p.m.
     Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerRecon#54 9/26/06 10:18 a.m.
           Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerDoT Gunslinger 9/26/06 10:39 a.m.
                 Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerRecon#54 9/26/06 11:01 a.m.
                       Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour GamerDoT_Gunslinger 9/26/06 1:57 p.m.
           Re: Wired - The Mythical 40-Hour Gamer3Suns 9/26/06 6:09 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.