Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Shave your head, easier to dry...
Posted By: El Bastard <elbastard@ten15.net>Date: 6/2/04 10:20 a.m.

In Response To: Vidal Sassoon (Pallor [subnova])

: I'll remind you that MSFT was the main investor when Apple hit the skids (aka
: 1997). MSFT cannot lose Apple in the marketplace. It also cannot hold
: controlling interests. Its no shock it had common stock. Losing Apple in
: the marketplace would undermind MSFT and trigger more anti-trust action
: (sorry Unix guys). While Apple may now be in greener pastures, it is
: largely thanks to infusions from MSFT when they needed it the most (much
: to the chagrin of Mac fans).

: While Akamai is the current infuser, let's not forget the 500 lb. gorilla
: looming in the background who will not allow the ship to sink. I stand by
: my statement. There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

: -- Meg

Yes, MSFT needs APPL. Forunately for Apple, Jobs, and Mac fans everywhere, Apple is at a point in its life (have been arguably since the beloved iMac hit the scene) where it only 'needs' MSFT. They're financially independant of Redmond. Redmond has that nice little thing called a monopoly. Sure, the DoJ has shown about as much teeth in breaking up this monopoly as my 5 month-old, but in theory, the DoJ is standing by ready to put the hurt on MSFT if Apple goes away.

As much as you hear reports of "market share slipping - Apple doomed?" every time anything at all happens, there's plenty of dinero in Apple's war chest. Apple may be making some business decisions that I personally give me mixed feelings (afterall, I did work for an Apple dealer that might not be around for too much longer), but when it comes to what Apple needs from MSFT, it's all about the appearance of compatability with Office. Open Office provides that, AppleWorks provides that (to a lesser degree) and there are numerous translation programs that provide it.

In short, so long as the Mac continues to be compatible with the big items on the PC (market share or not) Apple will be fine. If the day comes when Macs cannot play nicely with PCs, then and only then will MSFT need to figure out how to "save the day". Office is developed for the Mac because MSFT needs it to be - not because Mac users need MSFT...

Big difference in perspectives, and I respectfully dissent with your opinion ;)

Message Index

Replies:

Rinse, repeat...Magus [Subnova] 6/1/04 1:13 a.m.
     Hey.....343winks 6/1/04 1:16 a.m.
           Re: Hey.....McChief 6/1/04 1:32 a.m.
                 correctamundo......343winks 6/1/04 1:41 a.m.
                       Re: correctamundo......McChief 6/1/04 1:47 a.m.
                             Re: correctamundo......McChief 6/1/04 1:50 a.m.
                       Re: correctamundo......Ross Mills [subnova] 6/1/04 6:39 a.m.
           I was confused for a minute.Owm 6/1/04 3:33 a.m.
     Re: Rinse, repeat...Jamirus99 6/1/04 6:09 a.m.
           LatherPallor [subnova] 6/1/04 2:23 p.m.
                 Re: LatherLouis Wu 6/1/04 2:31 p.m.
                       Re: LatherSep7imus [subnova] 6/1/04 2:35 p.m.
                       When Soap Gets In Your EyesPallor [subnova] 6/1/04 2:43 p.m.
                             Re: When Soap Gets In Your Eyesoddworld18 6/1/04 2:51 p.m.
                                   No More TearsPallor [subnova] 6/1/04 3:01 p.m.
                                         Re: Head and ShouldersWado SG 6/1/04 4:56 p.m.
                                               knees and toesThe MorningStar 6/1/04 5:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Head and ShouldersLouis Wu 6/1/04 5:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: Head and ShouldersCount Zero 6/1/04 7:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: Head and ShouldersWado SG 6/2/04 1:06 p.m.
                                         Gah!mnemesis 6/1/04 5:13 p.m.
                             Re: When Soap Gets In Your EyesMikeMan445 6/1/04 5:46 p.m.
                                   Re: When Soap Gets In Your EyesLouis Wu 6/1/04 7:16 p.m.
                                         Re: When Soap Gets In Your EyesMikeMan445 6/1/04 11:47 p.m.
                             Re: When Soap Gets In Your EyesEl Bastard 6/2/04 12:43 a.m.
                                   Re: When Soap Gets In Your Eyesdaedalus 6/2/04 2:34 a.m.
                                   Vidal SassoonPallor [subnova] 6/2/04 8:39 a.m.
                                         (She's got the urge) She's got the urge to herbal.Ross Mills [subnova] 6/2/04 9:38 a.m.
                                               Re: (She's got the urge) She's got the urge to herThorsHammer 6/2/04 10:25 a.m.
                                         Shave your head, easier to dry...El Bastard 6/2/04 10:20 a.m.
                                               ignore grammatical errors - been up for 10 min now *NM*El Bastard 6/2/04 10:23 a.m.
                                               Wax On, Wax OffPallor [subnova] 6/2/04 12:41 p.m.
                                                     Chrome DomeWado SG 6/2/04 2:13 p.m.
                                                           LMAOPallor [subnova] 6/2/04 2:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: LMAOSep7imus [subnova] 6/2/04 3:47 p.m.
                                                                       Re: LMAOWado SG 6/2/04 6:49 p.m.
                                                                             Re: LMAOdeanero 6/2/04 8:29 p.m.
                                                     Sand the floorEl Bastard 6/2/04 4:21 p.m.
                 Re: LatherMikeMan445 6/1/04 5:48 p.m.
                       Re: Latherdaedalus 6/2/04 2:25 a.m.
     Re: Rinse, repeat...Sep7imus [subnova] 6/1/04 10:03 a.m.
     Re: Rinse, repeat...some sabbatical ;) nmvshields ash 6/1/04 4:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.