Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUT
Posted By: Owm109 <Owm109@hotmail.com>Date: 4/19/04 3:52 a.m.

In Response To: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUT (CENOBITE)

Ok, this'll be rehashing of some stuff already stated, but what the heck... (Disclaimer: This isn't aimed at CENOBITE, or anyone else, just some stuff I want to say, in general.)

: * you can play with more than two teams! Like I said I haven't read the
: article yet but one pic CLEARLY shows 2 pink MC 2 light green MC 1 Red MC
: and 1 Green MC!

FFA, my guess. There's just not enough to suggest otherwise, yet.

: * Bungie confirmed the campaign will take place on both earth and a 2nd Halo
: Ring.

Why, yes they did. In the FAQ. Months ago.

: * Peaking and destructible endowments are likely but not confirmed.

Hard to tell. D-environs seem pretty likely. Peeking could go either way.

: * Elites WILL be playable in at least 1 multi player mode

Be-tchin'.

: * New multi modes confirmed, (only one described)
: Assault - offense carries bomb into defense's base to score a point, roles
: switch after a point is scored

Same as Assault CTF, I guess. Maybe the bomb kills off the entire opposing team?

: * "ONLINE COOP LIKELY"

Ahh, the main reason for my post. In Shiska's (shhhh) HaloPC Pre-Release FAQ 3.1, he talks about why co-op wasn't included in H:PC. Clearly, co-op over any kind of multi-Xbox configuration isn't likely.

Co-op, or the lack thereof

No co-op? Will modders be able to add co-op in as a feature?

Even if modders ARE given a means with which to modify the network code, and are given the chance to put co-op back into Halo, it probably will not happen. If Gearbox, who is being paid to make HaloPC, cannot make a working co-op mode, it's highly doubtful that guys that mod for fun will be able to do so either. Making a networkable co-op mode is very, very difficult.

But Halo XBox had co-op!

Yes, but co-op existed only in split screen mode. No actual "networking" was involved in the original co-op mode. The best way to describe it is that a second camera and Master Chief model was put into the single player game, and the view was split so each person could control a 'Chief.

Why don't they just put split screen co-op into HaloPC?

A split screen style first person shooter multiplayer game does not have the same kind of appeal that it does on the console. PC gamers are used to the freedom of having their comptuer themselves. Further, split screen on Halo PC would mean sharing the keyboard, or using two keyboards. Either way, two mice would be needed for looking controls.

What is so hard about putting network co-op into Halo? They should make 3 player co-op! Or even 16 player co-op so we can have full scale spartan wars!

The issue lies in the amount of information that has to be passed between each person on the network. With your average multiplayer game of Halo, the server needs to concern itself only with player locations, weapon locations, vehicle locations, flag locations, and the movement thereof. The server relays information between each machine, so that the players remain in synch with each other.

In a co-op setting, the server also has to keep track of other events, such as the locations and decision making (known as pathfinding) of AI controlled units. It has to make sure the AI controlled characters move the same way across every machine. Aside from that, it's also imperative that the server makes sure events are synchronized for players, and that players remain within the same loading zones. A number of smaller subtle things lie within co-op that cause it to be a lag-inducing monster when it comes to networked play. Obviously, keeping track of this kind of thing is a lot of work, even if a server is synchronizing two machines together. Essentially, the server would be keeping track of two single player games going on at the same time, and making sure they're synchronized. Sounds like a lot of work, don't it?

Imagine what that'd do to a 16 player game. One machine, playing single player, 16 times, at the same time, making sure all 16 look exactly the same? Not bloody likely. Even over a LAN, you're talking about a LOT of lag issues.

Bungie might find a way, but I'll hardly be heartbroken if it's not included.

As long as they keep split-screen co-op, I'm happy. Those are some of the best times I've had playing Halo.

Aside from planting a sniper bullet right in my cousins butt-cheek, in the middle of his clumsy attempt to corpse hump me, not realizing I'd already respawned behind him.

More humping and owning by me ensued.
(15-8, me. Psychological Warfare 2552: The Humping Saga). *sigh* Good times.

: * Ghost and Banshee will have a new addition - Holding the L trigger will
: cause engines to flare and cause you to move across the map at unheard of
: speeds

I really doubt it. I can't see the 'Shees FRC getting replaced, or even moved. Maybe the burst will be the B or Y button, as neither was used in any H1 vehicles.

: * New "energy elevator contraption" - stepping into the swirling
: energy beam lifts the player up like a strong air current. Players CAN
: fire will being elevated (unlike when using a
: ladder)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hmmm, real-time grav-lift riding. Cool.

Message Index

Replies:

Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTCENOBITE 4/14/04 6:52 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTK-Twizzy 4/14/04 6:57 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTMilc 4/14/04 6:59 p.m.
     My opinionsHikaru-119 4/14/04 6:59 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTSPARTAN-01110101 4/14/04 7:01 p.m.
           E3 3003?Hikaru-119 4/14/04 7:03 p.m.
                 Re: E3 3003?SPARTAN-01110101 4/14/04 7:06 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTCENOBITE 4/14/04 7:06 p.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTHikaru-119 4/14/04 7:08 p.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTCENOBITE 4/14/04 7:08 p.m.
                       Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTHikaru-119 4/14/04 7:11 p.m.
                       Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTCENOBITE 4/14/04 7:11 p.m.
                             Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTSpecter 4/14/04 8:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUT *IMG*Cullen 4/14/04 8:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTMilc 4/14/04 9:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTAin Soph Aur 4/14/04 9:50 p.m.
                                         Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTHalo fangirl 4/14/04 10:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTAin Soph Aur 4/14/04 11:02 p.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUThaloman_47 4/14/04 9:29 p.m.
                 ?AAACK!!! I hate emyself!!!!SketchTeno 4/14/04 10:01 p.m.
                       OOOoooh!!! SHINY!!! Never mind!!! ^_^SketchTeno 4/14/04 10:15 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTBlink of an eye 4/14/04 8:11 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTJ 4/14/04 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTWhiteRaBbit 4/14/04 8:28 p.m.
                       Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTDom Dunc 4/14/04 9:47 p.m.
     ALL TRUE>>> LINKtLove 4/14/04 10:21 p.m.
           Re: ALL TRUE>>> LINKSystems 4/15/04 7:07 a.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTYour Buddy 4/15/04 5:49 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTMr. Fuzzles 4/15/04 8:53 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTeva05 4/16/04 11:47 a.m.
     I TOLD J00!!!r3c0nxiii 4/16/04 5:57 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTOwm109 4/19/04 3:52 a.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTBOLL 4/19/04 4:38 a.m.
                 Re: further proofthunderhawk555 4/19/04 10:19 a.m.
           About the online co-opHikaru-119 4/19/04 7:38 a.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTCerami 4/19/04 6:40 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTVandle Valsher 4/20/04 10:09 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTMikeMan445 4/20/04 10:40 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTOwm109 4/20/04 12:44 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTfactory 4/19/04 11:27 a.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTVandle Valsher 4/20/04 10:18 a.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTveebs 5/11/04 12:04 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTGhaleonEB 5/11/04 12:39 p.m.
                 Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTLouis Wu 5/11/04 1:10 p.m.
                       Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTveebs 5/12/04 4:30 a.m.
                             Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTLouis Wu 5/12/04 5:16 a.m.
     Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUT *NM*frank braden jr 5/12/04 1:00 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer... HALO2 BLOWOUTfrank braden jr 5/12/04 1:03 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.