Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Why not movies?
Posted By: cryptochrome <jeremygore@hotmail.com>Date: 10/25/99 3:09 p.m.

In Response To: Licensing the Engine (Nathan)

> Actually - and I'm being serious here -

> I think it would be cool if other companies wanted to license
> the Halo engine to make their CUTSCENES. I guarantee they'd get
> a better price than they would from Hollywood, etc. where it's
> about 250,000 US$ for 3 minutes of that type of quality.

> I don't know if that would be a shot at a company's pride to use
> another company's engine for such a thing, but it would make a
> lot of logical sense and of course, I can't imagine Bungie not
> being interested for the simple sake of business.

> Nathan

I was thinking of that too, except why stop at cutscenes? Why not go with whole movies or TV shows? The physics model, inverse kinematics, and light/texture modeling allow a level of realism that would be otherwise costly. Obviously the level of detail would need to be increased, but that's easily done by increasing the polygons and then doing the final rendering more slowly. No big deal for movie segments.

That would be an interesting trend though - think about it. Instead of going to all the trouble of defining a scene, you could just get some professional game players to act it out for you by each controlling their character! The next generation of actors. You could get them to do a basic run through, save it, then tweak character motions (a turn of the head, etc.) as much as you want, and finally do a complete rendering of the scene.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo ideas...Firefly 10/22/99 3:32 p.m.
     Re: Halo ideas...Forensic 10/23/99 4:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo ideas...blizzard could license the Halo..Countzeroed =PN= 10/23/99 4:28 p.m.
                 Re: Halo ideas...blizzard could license the Halo..Chris 10/23/99 5:20 p.m.
                       Licensing the EngineNathan 10/25/99 2:10 p.m.
                             Why not movies?cryptochrome 10/25/99 3:09 p.m.
                                   umm...Ben Schodek 10/25/99 3:42 p.m.
                                         Re: umm...cryptochrome 10/25/99 7:49 p.m.
                                               Re: umm...Mark Levin 10/25/99 8:21 p.m.
                                               Re: umm...dink!Dispatcher 10/25/99 8:22 p.m.
                                                     Re: umm...dink!Mage 10/25/99 9:21 p.m.
                                               Re: umm...Traxus 10/26/99 8:45 a.m.
                                                     Halo for CutscenesNathan 10/26/99 9:40 a.m.
                                                     yeah...Ben Schodek 10/26/99 1:53 p.m.
     Re: Starcraft Smarcraft!.Nick 10/24/99 7:24 p.m.
           whatever... speak for yourself...Ben Schodek 10/24/99 7:57 p.m.
                 Re: whatever... speak for yourself...Dreamcatcher 10/24/99 10:52 p.m.
                 Re: whatever... speak for yourself...cryptochrome 10/25/99 10:38 a.m.
           Stereotype?SiliconDream 10/26/99 1:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.