/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxide
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/10/02 5:17 p.m.

It's going to be a slow going for the next week or so, but I should be able to get back on a more regular schedule after that. Here's the next level in the Rubicon Volunteers' series - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxide. I hope to have Deep in the Aardvarks finished by the end of the week.

All right – let’s go save the admiral! This is a fun level with lots of action, lots of exploration, some important clues for the future and a straight-forward mission – lowering the blast door at the main entrance to the mining complex so that UESC forces can launch an assault. And as the name of the level suggests, the environment is soggy with lots of that wonderful slime that you first saw on the level Sea of Slime. One of the first things that you’ll discover almost as soon as you teleport in is that some good old friends are here to great you. Get out your magnum and knock those wasps out of the sky. If you’re using Aleph One, however, be careful shooting at the lookers – in some versions you may get a nasty crash – better use your fusion rifle if you find that happens. You’ll also be encountering a new type of Pfhor – a worker slave. I guess not all Pfhor are cut out for battle – or perhaps this is a glimpse of humanity’s fate.

There are actually numerous ways to approach the tasks at hand and a number of ways of getting into the mining complex besides the route outlined in the Spoiler Guide. For information on alternate pathways and on the various secrets on this level, check out my Rubicon Secrets Guide. The mining elevators are a major means of getting around, here. One general bit of advice, however – look for ammo on the open terraces, but be prepared for a fight. If you’re experienced, this will be no sweat. If not, remember, keep moving and get the monsters to kill each other. This good advice for almost any Marathon scenario.

Although the only objective is to destroy a set of wires so that the blast door will lower, there’s a lot of information on the terminals, so it’s well worth exploring and reading them all. When you first arrive, you’ll likely first come across a terminal in a central area. Here Durandal tells you:

The T' fa 'ral mining facility was once the pride and joy of the Pfhor homeworld . . . Unfortunately, bureaucratic ambitions once again outpaced the technical expertise of Pfhor engineers . . . the environmental hazards are likely to kill more men than the Pfhor do.

Isn’t that comforting? It’s too bad that the Rubicon team didn’t include any major traps (e.g. collapsing caves) to lend some more realism to the environment. In any case, there are plenty of Pfhor to keep the player busy!

There are some wonderful Pfhor terminals that provide a glimpse into their bureaucracy:

Engineering Officer Fourth Class hereby submits a formal request (?plea) for the reclassification of the southern wing shafts of the mine . . . reclassification is long overdue . . . health hazards are currently significantly disrupting moral of mine crew. To which comes the reply: The oversight committee reaffirms commitment to upkeep of crew morale, but duly denies reclassification request (stamp improper) on grounds of overestimation of importance on limiting debilitating injury. Something tells me they don’t have much of a Workers Comp. system! Oh, and they also have something to say about us: Regarding feasability of human resistance (?invasion), council notifies all posted units of security-level upgrade to universal alert status. . . Justification for modification (?alteration) of said policy will be disclosed to all units of clearance Hf'rah and above in forthcoming documents under stamp: morale.

The Pfhor sound just like some of the people I’ve worked with in the past. They say that the only thing you can count on is death and taxes, but I think that bureaucracy is pretty universal, too. In any case, there’s also a Tyco terminal here:

You and your human friends won't find the good Admiral here, he's ten thousand feet under, so to speak. Don't worry. I'll let you see him soon enough. Then again, you and I have some more important business to discuss. Curious? Good.

Hmmm . . . I wonder what that could be about! Well, I guess we’d better get over to Deep in the Aardvarks to rescue the Admiral, and maybe we’ll find out.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxideSteve Levinson 6/10/02 5:17 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidYossarian 6/10/02 7:25 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/11/02 7:42 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/11/02 12:44 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/11/02 7:53 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/11/02 2:48 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/12/02 12:40 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidREB 6/12/02 6:25 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 1:35 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/13/02 11:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/13/02 4:20 p.m.
                                               Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 4:28 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/14/02 1:00 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/14/02 1:32 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSidoh 6/13/02 7:35 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/14/02 2:20 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxid *NM*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/14/02 11:10 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.