/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxid
Posted By: C LundDate: 6/13/02 2:56 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxid (Steve Levinson)

: Although I first played Rubicon using the original version, I've sinced
: played it multiple times using AO - not AO Light - but by placing the
: Rubicon folder inside my AO folder. I'm not sure what you mean by AO
: screwing up the visuals in the "Things may happen levels" - they
: look really cool with Open GL engaged. Could you please explain what
: you're referring to?

There is a smear effect in the "Things" levels that is "fixed" (iow removed) by OGL. The entire level was designed around the smear effect, and in OGL it's just gone.

: I too am disappointed that Loren has chosen to do all
: of his work in the Classic OS 9 version (why not carbonize and develop for
: both platforms at the same time?), but even though the most recent OS X
: version dates back to February, it works very well. Very, very well.

I've played through Infinity with the X version of AO, and yes, it works very well. But there were a few things that did not work so well, and certainly not for a hypothetical Rubicon X.

: It
: may lag in some of the cutting edge features that Rubicon probably doesn't
: need anyway, but it can certainly do everything for Rubicon that the
: original version did,

It can do a few things such as better resolutions and so on, but it'll also break the smear effects in "Things", and several other things I'm not going into right now. If somebody was working on AO OS X at the moment, then I might have brought it up with him/her.

: and additionally support things like fog etc.

Fog as it's implemented at the moment is not good enough (imo). I tried tinkering with fog in Rubicon, and discovered several shortcomings (inability to define fog in liquid *and* above liquid), the liquid transparency doesn't look right (should be a fog effect rather than a transparent texture above a crystal clear medium etc), and so on.

: I rarely run the classic environment any more, let alone booting under OS 9,

These days I boot into OS 9 only for Marathon and UT. I suppose I'll play Myth II again when I'm done with Ph'Joueur and Rubicon(!).

: so for me OS X is the way to go. With a good, functional, stable version
: of AO carbon out there, why not build a full AO version of Rubicon - at
: least one for the solo levels? I'd be thrilled to loose more days of my
: life playing Rubicon again, just to play it with the full array of Open GL
: effects. Please think about it.

Oh, we're thinking about it, but AO X needs more work before anything will happen. I would like to have an OS X version of Rubicon myself.

: -Steve Levinson

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxideSteve Levinson 6/10/02 5:17 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidYossarian 6/10/02 7:25 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/11/02 7:42 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/11/02 12:44 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/11/02 7:53 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/11/02 2:48 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/12/02 12:40 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidREB 6/12/02 6:25 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 1:35 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/13/02 11:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/13/02 4:20 p.m.
                                               Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/13/02 4:28 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidInverted Sock Puppet 6/14/02 1:00 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidC Lund 6/14/02 1:32 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSidoh 6/13/02 7:35 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen MonoxidSteve Levinson 6/14/02 2:20 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Molten Dihydrogen Monoxid *NM*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/14/02 11:10 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.