/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: misc. thoughts on this...
Posted By: YossarianDate: 8/12/02 8:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: misc. thoughts on this... (Steve Levinson)

: No, the dream levels in Infinity itself allude to a romantic interest,
: although not nearly as well developed as the one with Kate. From eath the
: path, terminal 3:

Ah that's right, I should have remembered that before I asked, but even before that from the original Marathon, Kill Your Television terminal:

"...She has been nameless since our birth,
a constant adversary caring for nothing but my ruin,
a sword drenched in my blood forever, my greatest and
only love. She is the dark one, the enemy and lover, without
whom my very existence would be pathetic and vulgar!
Our relationship is complex and perhaps eternal..."

There has been a lot of talk over the years as the marine being the proverbial "eternal hero", which I believe Rubicon has obviously expanded on. Conforming with the theme of balance, in order for there to be an eternal hero, there must be an opposing force, an equally powerful anti-hero. Unfortunately, I don't think Bungie ever presents a suitable anti-hero to our Marine, and certainly none of the female characters.

The exception to this lack of an archetypal counterweight are the Jjaro dreams, including the one in the above excerp, if you happen to believe that the marine had such dreams in the first installment of the trilogy. However, the Jjaro being what they are, perhaps its not necessary for us to be in the same time or reality as the forve working against us, and perhaps we play a hide and seek game through timelines, constantly sabotaging and plotting against eachother. At critical moments perhaps the paths of the hero and the anti-hero meet, such as the time in the garden and...

...meet Kate. She is the perfect example of an anti-hero in this scenario. Even while we fight against Dangi and the Pfhor, the memories/dream of her, the lab, the formula, and the C4 are always haunting us. Consider:

From Marathon, KYT term: "...She has been nameless since our birth,..."

From Rubicon, We Dream You: "Kate and I had been friends forever. Almost since before we were born."

The only way for this to make sense is if the if narrator of the Jjaro dreams knows of the marine's timeless quality. How can you have been friends FOREVER with someone you've just recently met?

Also from WDY: "She was the kind of girl that we only see in movies – beautiful, intense, the embodiment of grace, passion, and will."

but look what she turns into in Ascension Factor: "You sell your body to the technology, and you sell your mind to the money. When both are gone, there’s no house for the soul, and the love of your life has turned into a woman with a gun to your throat."

( I think that's my favorite terminal in the whole game)

So what we see is actually a dramatic about-face or simply the true nature of Kate, though we cannot deny that to the marine, narrarator, or whoever, she was, just like the woman in the garden, amazing and beautiful even as she plotted the hero's demise.

And possibly, as he plotted hers.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Hard VacuumSteve Levinson 8/11/02 1:20 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hard VacuumYossarian 8/11/02 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hard VacuumSteve Levinson 8/11/02 6:30 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hard VacuumYossarian 8/11/02 10:58 p.m.
     misc. thoughts on this...Yossarian 8/11/02 11:24 p.m.
           Re: misc. thoughts on this...Steve Levinson 8/12/02 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: misc. thoughts on this...Yossarian 8/12/02 8:59 p.m.
                       one more thing...Yossarian 8/12/02 9:15 p.m.
     An interesting NoteErnie 8/12/02 1:36 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.