/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Toadstools
Posted By: ScottDate: 7/11/02 10:56 p.m.

In Response To: Rubicon Volunteers - Toadstools (Steve Levinson)

Bravo.

Steve, it's been a genuine pleasure reading your explorations of Rubicon's levels and plotline, and I can't wait to see your reactions and play-by-plays about the Salinger line.

As for the storyline issues- the goal of Rubicon was to make a Marathon 4, although what was foremost in my mind was striking a balance between the elements of Marathon 1, 2, and Infinity. Each in the trilogy had its strengths, and I wanted to engineer Rubicon to play to the best parts of each. The timeline issues of Marathon Infinity made this difficult, as Bungie/Double Aught essentially killed off the good storytelling mechanisms (Durandal, Tycho, etc) at the end of Infinity. Nobody would want to play a 50 level scenario where you're being led by some combined jjaro thoth entity the whole time, because there's no humanity in that character. Infinity's achillese heel was in losing some amount of approachability and charm in exchange for moving in a more philosophical direction. The balance of crew, ambient, jjaro, durandal, pfhor, etc terminals in the Marathon universe is what gives the story its approachability and charm, and the jjaro component allows for an essentially unlimited amount of metaphysical depth. My goal with the Rubicon story was to give it the charm, approachability, and depth of the original Marathons.

Some sacrifices had to be made, but I think they were made to keep the spirit of the tale intact, and hopefully they didn't detract from anyone's enjoyment of the game too much.

And Agent Shem, I'm glad you like the last screen. Your post made me smile.

Scott

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsSteve Levinson 7/11/02 8:39 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsAgent Shem 7/11/02 5:03 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsScott 7/11/02 10:56 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsSteve Levinson 7/12/02 8:04 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsRincewind MoG 7/12/02 11:55 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsSteve Levinson 7/12/02 2:21 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsREB 7/12/02 3:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsSteve Levinson 7/12/02 4:52 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsRincewind MoG 7/13/02 9:46 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsC Lund 7/12/02 10:11 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsInverted Sock Puppet 7/12/02 7:45 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsC Lund 7/13/02 1:18 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - ToadstoolsInverted Sock Puppet 7/14/02 8:56 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.