/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/18/02 10:45 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73 (Inverted Sock Puppet)

: You're looking at the wrong person here. I don't even know what a : hexidecimal is :)

Gasp! Comes up for air. A byte, as you may know, consists of 8 bits of information, where each bit is a single binary number that is either on or off (1 or 0). This leads to 256 different values that can be stored in each byte of computer data. The problem is that there is no universally recognized symbolic system for representing all 256 values, and the decimal number system that we are used to inefficient - the 3 decimal places required to store a byte's worth of data would waste 744 potential values that cannot be represented in a byte. The solution used by computer geeks is to split each byte into two groups of 4 bits each, each of which can be represented by 16 different values - i.e. a hexidecimal number. The 16 different values are written using the usual digits 0 through 9, with the addition of the first 6 letters of the roman alphabet, A-F. Thus a hexidecimal representation of the decimal value 63 would be 3F. The hexidecimal representation of 255 would be FF, so a bite is always represented by only 2, rather than 3, hexidecimal digits. If you look at several of the Marathon and Rubicon terminals, you'll notice long strings of hexidecimal numbers. These are basically core dumps - a regurgitation of everything stored in memory, in raw form.

: 60 seconds?? Damn, It takes me 10 minutes +. I always manage to
: get lost, anyway.

Practice, practice, practice. Once you get the route down and can minimize your exposure to the enemies, it's pretty easy to jump down one slot, flip the switch, run around the level in a circle and enter the second slot. I'll let you figure it out.

: The wierd thing about these super brainy Pfhor is that they are
: invulnerable to energy weapons. No explanation of why this is
: so is given. Oh well, time for that AR of yours.

They're shielded, since it's harder to take them out with a particle weapon at a distance. These guys are valuable and in place of body guards, they have an advanced defensive chair. Not sure why they don't use energy weapons themselves, though. The AR works well in taking them out, as does the shotgun. Interestingly, it takes a full load of your SPNKR (at least on TC, it does) to take them out, so they're surprisingly resistant to missle fire. Again, my guess is that the assumption is that other expendable Pfhore will take you out before you get close enough to use the AR or shotgun, so their defences are aimed at your long range weapons.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Steve Levinson 6/16/02 7:40 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Inverted Sock Puppet 6/18/02 12:54 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Steve Levinson 6/18/02 10:45 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Scott 6/18/02 3:24 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73C Lund 6/18/02 3:30 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73C Lund 6/18/02 3:26 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Inverted Sock Puppet 6/19/02 12:54 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hex Level 73Sean 9/19/02 9:02 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.