/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Hate blinds...
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 6/3/02 6:38 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Accck! Wrong! (REB)

: You sound like you got a point, but you don't. Alex didn't sold Bungie to MS
: because of economical problems - he took advantage of all the hipe around
: Halo to sell the company to a giant corporation and make a lot of money.

I'm always glad when folks with lots of inside information about the running of Bungie post to these forums - it enlightens us all.

: I'm still going to buy a new Mac to run Mac OS X smoothly - Halo would only
: have rushed that expense, but I still would have done it sooner or later.
: Halo is the only reason to buy an Xbox - I'd rather play on the
: PlayStation2 (because there are a lot of games for that console) or the
: GameCube, which is the best console out there with a lot of cool games
: too.

You can buy a LOT of new macs that will run OSX smoothly - but the difference in price between one that runs OSX smoothly (a bottom-end iMac does, right now) and one that will run Halo is definitely more than $250, the price of Halo + Xbox.

: I can't believe you're saying that! I'd rather play a game right here, right
: now, than wait for YEARS and then come out with such poor excuse. Live the
: moment, my friend. Don't waste your time waiting for a better tomorrow.

I want to play Deux Ex 2 right here, right now... but it's NOT DONE YET. IS my appreciation of it going to be diminished because they'll take another 18 months to finish it? Unlikely.

You can put any estimate you want on when Halo WOULD have been out - but the truth is, you have no clue when they would have finished it. My estimate, based on many different things, before the buyout, was sometime in early-mid 2001... so the release date of November wasn't all that much later than I thought it was going to be.

I'm simply saying that it was ahead of its time when it was first announced... and the hardware just didn't exist to do it justice then. That fact, all by itself, probably played a serious role in the decision to develop for a fixed-spec, next-gen console.

Let's go back, though - you said you were planning to buy a new mac to run X smoothly anyway... but X wasn't even on the MARKET at the time of the buyout. (The public beta hadn't even been released!) What OTHER excuse would you have given for upgrading your mac at the time to play Halo? (Just curious...)

: Hey, you said, Claude.

Halo is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. No, it's not available on my Mac yet. I wish it were... but I understand that there are many, many factors involved in deciding the fate of a game that have NOTHING TO DO WITH SCREWING ME. You can choose to believe that you're being penalized by Bungie for not buying an Xbox - but the bottom line is, you're not. You're being penalized by YOU.

(I've looked at the GameCube - and while I saw a few games at E3 that looked promising, there's very, very little out right now that gets me interested. My parents HAVE a PS2 - they bought it for my kids - and on games available on both consoles, the Xbox kicks ass; and again, while the collection of games for PS2 is larger, I'm not interested in most of them. It's the same reason I don't buy a PC for gaming - yes, there is MUCH more software available... but overall, I'm happier with my Mac.)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Poll: The Baddest Villain(s)?REB 6/1/02 10:49 p.m.
     LOLHamish Sinclair 6/2/02 2:37 a.m.
           a pox, a pox, give us a pox!(the)Street Mime 6/2/02 6:16 p.m.
           seriously thoughCpt. Sqweky 6/2/02 6:18 p.m.
                 Re: seriously thoughCpt. Sqweky 6/2/02 6:23 p.m.
                       Accck! Wrong!REB 6/2/02 8:35 p.m.
                             Re: Accck! Wrong!Claude Errera 6/2/02 9:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Accck! Wrong!Djof 6/2/02 10:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Accck! Wrong!M-Class 6/3/02 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/2/02 11:00 p.m.
                                         Re: Accck! Wrong!Mark Levin 6/2/02 11:42 p.m.
                                               Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/3/02 12:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: Accck! Wrong!Jacke 6/3/02 6:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/3/02 12:49 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Accck! Wrong!Claude Errera 6/3/02 1:27 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/4/02 1:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Accck! Wrong!Claude Errera 6/4/02 2:42 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/4/02 4:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Accck! Wrong!Hamish Sinclair 6/4/02 8:34 a.m.
                                                                                   A solution!Jacke 6/4/02 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                         BWAHAHAHA LOL dink blam! *NT*D-M.A. 6/4/02 4:49 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Accck! Wrong!Jacke 6/3/02 4:26 p.m.
                                         Re: Accck! Wrong!Cpt. Sqweky 6/3/02 12:21 a.m.
                                               Re: Accck! Wrong!REB 6/3/02 12:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: Accck! Wrong!Cpt. Sqweky 6/3/02 9:30 p.m.
                                         Hate blinds...Claude Errera 6/3/02 6:38 a.m.
                       Finishes thinking...Smasher 6/2/02 9:48 p.m.
                             Re: Finishes thinking...Johannes Gunnar 6/3/02 4:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Finishes thinking...Jacke 6/3/02 6:07 a.m.
                                         Re: Finishes thinking...Cpt. Sqweky 6/3/02 9:41 p.m.
                       heh :)Miguel Chavez 6/3/02 9:19 p.m.
                             Re: heh :)Gh™lsbane 6/7/02 9:11 a.m.
                                   Re: heh :)Miguel Chavez 6/7/02 12:02 p.m.
                                         Re: heh :)Gh™lsbane 6/7/02 1:43 p.m.
                                               Re: heh :)Claude Errera 6/7/02 9:03 p.m.
                                                     Re: heh :)Gh™lsbane 6/8/02 1:34 a.m.
     Re: Poll: The Baddest Villain(s)?archon 6/2/02 7:42 p.m.
     Re: Poll: The Baddest Villain(s)?M-Class 6/3/02 12:46 p.m.
     Re: Poll: The Baddest Villain(s)?Alfred Mordeir 6/3/02 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Poll: The Baddest Villain(s)?REB 6/4/02 4:32 a.m.
     Baddest Villain(s) Poll ResultsREB 6/9/02 3:30 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.