/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)
Posted By: El Bastard™Date: 5/17/02 12:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler) (REB)

: Next time you have some free time, Claude, try reading something from Victor
: Hugo (Notre-dame de Paris,) Edgar Allan Poe (The Tell-Tale Heart,) Fyodor
: Dostoyevsky (House of the Dead,) Ernest Hemingway (Death in the
: Afternoon,) William Faulkner (The Sound and the Fury,) Jerzy Kosinski (The
: Painted Bird) or anyone else that actually care about what they produce.

: That excludes people like Anne Rice, Ken Follett, Frank Herbert and
: especially John Grisham and Tom Clancy.

I don't post here enough, and certainly this may appear as solely a flame, but I assure you it isn't.

That being said, It sounds like you have taken a Lit course which Diefied the classics while callling modern authors sell-outs. Here is where I will beg to differ with you. Shakespeare may certainly be more appreciated today than in his day, however, I refuse to say that nobody has ever written plays with his eye of humor or character.

To state that everyone from the late Frank Herbert (whose Dune books were well written and adorn my bookshelf) to Tom Clancy care nothing for their work and only do it for the money is well, flatly inaccurate. Would you begrudge a professional althete (say Mike Jordan) for making money doing what he loves? Would you claim that good ol' Mikey is only in it for the money - he's can't possibly be playing because he loves the sport....

Would someone be wrong to accuse you of being a sell-out if you make money doing something you enjoy? I fail to see how churning out books at a prolific rate (King) makes someone poor at their craft. In fact, I challenge you to author a best seller - even just one.

While those authors you have mentioned may have undeniable talent, all of them have authored books/stories which were nowhere on par with the works you have mentioned. They learned to care, and/or got lucky. One may be successful and appreciated during their life and still have stories which survive the test of time. It's not only the starving artists that truly care about their work - a lot of them care and still manage to make more money than you or I are ever likely to see.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/15/02 5:38 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/16/02 6:55 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Hamish Sinclair 5/16/02 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/16/02 7:30 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Still Thinking 5/16/02 2:46 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)M-Class 5/16/02 7:30 p.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/16/02 10:56 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)El Bastard™ 5/17/02 12:31 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 4:26 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Dan Johnson 5/18/02 3:52 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Yossarian 5/17/02 1:18 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/17/02 3:39 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 4:59 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)M-Class 5/17/02 6:26 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/17/02 6:51 p.m.
                                   Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 9:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/18/02 5:02 a.m.
                                               Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/18/02 8:49 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/17/02 7:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 9:28 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/17/02 7:11 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tempus Fugee 5/17/02 8:05 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Inky 5/18/02 6:07 a.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/18/02 9:12 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)John Denton 5/23/02 4:22 p.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Wagner 5/28/02 9:45 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)John Denton 5/29/02 12:44 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)DataSpot 5/30/02 7:18 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/30/02 7:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.