/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Another MIDA coup?
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 5/18/01 8:06 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Another MIDA coup? (nooker)

Cool theory indeed -- however I would propose the following:

a) I think Strauss planned on "developing" Durandal's Rampancy _after_ they had arrived on Tau Ceti. He may have "experimented," and even "abused" Durandal prior to the Marathon's launch, but only knowing full well Durandal's Rampancy was well under control. Think about it. If you were in Strauss' position, would you go in stasis (i.e., in a helpless state), on a ship whose doors were controlled by a Rampant AI? Not likely. Indeed, Strauss even looks forward to stasis:

I'll be glad to be put in stasis for the next three hundred years.

b) I can't speak for the other Cyborgs, but I think it's pretty evident that the Marine cannot, de facto, be involved in any kind of MIDA coup, Durandal/Strauss' involvement in such a coup notwithstanding. Our only "orders" are stated in Marathon's manual, which is to protect Bobs, end of story. Durandal's "control" of the Marine is by force and cohersion, and indeed it's clear that there's no complicity between the Marine and Strauss, as the Marine doesn't even know who he is. As the story unfolds (M1->M2->MI), the Marine's duty to protect humans is referenced in many different places, and is used by both Tycho and Durandal to compel the Marine into performing for them, i.e., do this for me and I'll help protect your precious humans. Therefore, I think it's fair to state that the Marine would be inherently opposed to any kind of "coup" which would aim at the control/suppresion of Bobs.

Just my two dinars...

-gh

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Another MIDA coup?Thoth Wannabe 5/17/01 2:59 p.m.
     Re: Another MIDA coup?Mark Levin 5/17/01 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Another MIDA coup?nooker 5/17/01 9:32 p.m.
                 Re: Another MIDA coup?Grasshopper 5/18/01 8:06 a.m.
                       Re: Another MIDA coup?Thoth Wannabe 5/18/01 10:39 a.m.
                             Re: Another MIDA coup?Grasshopper 5/18/01 11:34 a.m.
                             Re: Another MIDA coup?Yossarian 5/18/01 2:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Another MIDA coup?Doctordude 5/18/01 3:46 p.m.
                                         Re: Another MIDA coup?Thoth Wannabe 5/19/01 9:59 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.