/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Erm... "Eat the path?"
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 5/17/01 7:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Erm... "Eat the path?" (Locucious)

: Oh man, ain't it the truth. IIHARL was a nightmare on any difficulty level,
: but it's absolutely insane on TC. Basically, you have to get lucky to beat
: it. Really lucky...

Yep, or, as Hamish might say, aye. Lucky indeed. When I first did M2, I was cocky so I decided, after doing the first few levels on N, to started again on TC and stick to it. I've died in more ways than I thought possible when I first played IIHARL. Basically, you get there, and you _know_ your SOL when, all of a sudden, DOZENS of shotgun shells get teleported, along with, like, three or four 2x and 3x health canisters. Then the grenades start.... the first time I got there, I hit the switch and waited... and waited... meanwhile three rugby teams' worth of troopers were approaching fast. And finally, by the time the door opened, I was done, splattered against the door to my freedom, or so I thought. Rinse, repeat, a LOT. Finally got to making it to the 1x recharger (and... was there a save term there?) to the left of the first main door, and learned to survive the second assault... rinse repeat. Those sims blew me up all over that room. Unbelieable air time there.

Once you get over THAT, the game contiues, with the hunters, and more troopers, and mor sims, and more hunters, until finally, the prize stands high above the lava -- what you've been waiting for all along, forget the wimpy SubMG, even the trusty AR, which has been mostly useless sans grenades, is dwarfed -- the mighty SNPKR, a garden of missile packs, and a nice, juicy 3x canister; the moment you get your bloody hands on those, a metamorphosis occurs: one moment, you're a weak, half-dead Marine jumping at every sound during the rare moments of respite, running like hell from everything while grenades and bullets are whizing by, to a Marine with a big, explosive cigar. And you're triumphant, flying in the air over the lava, glancing left to give that small group of troopers a nice pedicure that sends their pulpy remains flying into the lava (or alive if you're really good), etc ,etc.

But you know, I think the thing that was the hardest to accept about that level was Durandal, who says:

If I Had a Rocket Launcher, I'd Make Somebody Pay (Terminal 3)

You did well, but all the human defenders
elsewhere near the hull have been routed;
you must fall back.

The humans have fortified the interior of
the ship, near the teleporter array. I'll
try to evacuate as many of the S'pht and
the humans down to the planet as I can.

You must hold off the Pfhor as long as
possible.

The Marine "DID WELL???" (emphasis not Durandal's) That's it? The Marine just survived ridiculous odds, and sent what seems like hundreds of BIG Pfhor to la la land, and returned armed to the teeth (especially if "redoing" the whole level sans monsters), ready to defend Boomer against whatever, and now it's time to "fall back????"

Why that ungrateful AI.... :)

Anyway, I must go take my medication now.

-gh

P.S. I like Eat the Path, except I wish it were a bit more team-oriented. Volunteers? (See, ya got me thinking about M2 now!)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A proposal for you all....Grasshopper 5/16/01 4:41 p.m.
     Re: A proposal for you all....Jonah 5/16/01 5:19 p.m.
           Re: A proposal for you all....Locucious 5/16/01 5:41 p.m.
                 Re: A proposal for you all....Grasshopper 5/16/01 6:16 p.m.
     Re: A proposal for you all....Locucious 5/16/01 5:40 p.m.
     Re: A proposal for you all....Siva 5/17/01 7:19 a.m.
           Re: A proposal for you all....[Tycho?] 5/17/01 12:55 p.m.
                 What do we call it?Grasshopper 5/17/01 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: Erm... "Eat the path?"Locucious 5/17/01 5:19 p.m.
                             Re: Erm... "Eat the path?"Grasshopper 5/17/01 7:07 p.m.
                                   Re: Erm... "Eat the path?"[Tycho?] 5/18/01 1:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Erm... "Eat the path?"Locucious 5/19/01 6:16 a.m.
                                               ACME --Grasshopper 5/19/01 7:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: ACME --[Tycho?] 5/19/01 10:47 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.