/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

You.
Posted By: WingDate: 7/18/01 4:13 p.m.

Time to add my 2 cents to the great debate. In one of the (early) terms in M2, I'm leaning towards one on Waterloo Waterpark, but I'll check the exact wording and term when I next get a chance to play, Durandal tells us that he has made some modifications to our suit to make us compatible with the Pfor equipment. This would obviously refer to the save terms, "health" recharge and air stations, as well as allowing us to translate their terms instantly.

What does this mean? Well, it somewhat implies that we're human since we have a suit, but hold on.

Whens the last time you saw your average P'for using one of their health stations? What about a Bob? No? Perhaps these don't dispense flesh-healing materials or energy or whatever. Death would be preferable to having alien substances with an unknown affect on humans being pumped into you, wouldn't it?What if beneath this suit, we were the 10th battleroid. What if our enhanced muscles were regenerative with an application of certain materials? What if the P'for's cyborgs are similar?

Save buffers? I'm going to make some assumptions about alien technology, but it would seem Durandal has one mofo of a time finding terms of any type from space. So, once you locate any term and access it, Durandal can hack in, override it, etc. etc. etc. So, as you locate the save buffers, he can hack into the system and allow you to upload your biomechanical state onto it and he whisks it away via his uplink. He can then, at any time (ie when you die) upload you to the station once again to be respawned. "You have died a thousand times..." Only he would know, because you can't remember dying, because you were reverted to a previous state. The image on the console resembles a Trooper. Troopers can use the terms easily because a large portion of them is electronic, their suit, weapons, etc. They probably even have some implants. It's easy to believe that the technology is limited to only bioelectronic organisms, and simply can't do it without a mechanical reference or somthing. After all, they had to steal AI to get AI.

Also, never is there a reference to "While you were wolfing down a cheeseburger in the mess" Even if you were teleported directly from the planet and into stasis and vice versa, you'd still consume godly amounts of energy running around blasting the shitzut out of stuff. Since the stasis chambers on Boomer are unreliable according to Durandal, why would he place you, his most potent weapon into them? Also, he'd need some physical manifest to maintain the ship (assuming all the packaged drones were annhilated at your hands). Thoughts, comments, observations?

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

You.Wing 7/18/01 4:13 p.m.
     Re: You.Some guy 7/18/01 6:46 p.m.
     Re: You.Soapstone 7/18/01 8:10 p.m.
     Re: You.[Tycho?] 7/19/01 5:29 a.m.
           Re: You.Some guy 7/19/01 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: You.Andrew Nagy 7/23/01 8:43 a.m.
     Re: You.William Spencer 7/20/01 4:29 p.m.
           Re: You.Aben Zin 7/21/01 11:51 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.