/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I wish I were a cyborg
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/29/02 4:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I wish I were a cyborg (:: Beer Can ::)

: That's "I wish I *was* a cyborg."

Nope - this is one of those exceptions in English that is so maddening to people trying to learn the language. This is future perfect tense, rather than past tense. The future perfect singular form of the verb "be" is "were" - strange, I know, but I didn't invent the language.

Speaking of being a cyborg, we can joke all we want about all the fun we'd have, but I think that the use of cybernetic implants in humans is inevitable. If anything, we'll be the Borg - let's just hope that we find the balance to avoid the exploitaiton of technology that we see in the Star Trek series. But just think of the advantages - and I'm not talking about the silly benefits being tossed around here. No need for an HUD - youl'll have information instantly at your "fingertips" at all times. You'll interface directly with networks and computers in your environment. You'll drive what ever passes for a car, or a space ship for that matter, by just thinking about where you want to go. Forget about memorizing information in school - the virtual classroom of the future will teach you how to access information and how to sort and evaluate it, and how to think, rather than the information itself. Why learn useless facts of history when they're already there? Instead, learn how to interpret history. The genious of the future will be the person who comes up with novel ways applying information - today's IQ tests will become meaningless.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I wish I were a cyborgAgent Cletus 6/29/02 7:45 a.m.
     Re: I wish I were a cyborgPedrof 6/29/02 7:53 a.m.
           Re: I wish I were a cyborgD-M.A. 6/30/02 2:43 a.m.
     Re: I wish I were a cyborgVid Boi 6/29/02 9:00 a.m.
     Re: I wish I were a cyborgMark Levin 6/29/02 9:48 a.m.
     Re: I wish I were a cyborg:: Beer Can :: 6/29/02 1:15 p.m.
           Re: I wish I were a cyborgSteve Levinson 6/29/02 4:05 p.m.
                 Re: I wish I were a cyborg•M 6/29/02 4:39 p.m.
                 Re: I wish I were a cyborg:: Beer Can :: 6/30/02 3:21 a.m.
     Re: I wish I were a cyborgREB 6/29/02 3:00 p.m.
     Resistance is Futile *NM*paolo mk IV 6/30/02 3:21 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.