/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Best 3rd party scenario?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/19/02 8:32 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Best 3rd party scenario? (Mark Levin)

: If you're looking for a real challenge, try Tempus Irae 2 (which
: requires TI) or Marathon RED, both of which are among the
: hardest scenarios ever released.

Now that I've finally managed to beat TI2 on TC, I'm going to have to give RED another try. Last time I played it, I couldn't get past the first level on "deathwish" and I couldn't finish the final level, even on it's redefined normal setting. Actually, most of TI2 isn't all that bad - the problem is that every single level is a rebellion level, so you must start vidmaster style, with only a magnum and 1X shields. A couple of the levels are very, very difficult, but the final level is outstanding, very playable, even on TC, and it has one of the best final screens of any Marathon scenario.

Marathon RED is unique. It still takes place in the Marathon universe, marginally, but it uses all new textures, all new sprites and all new weapons (OK, I know that that's redundant). It's really amazing that one person did all of this alone. The plot is a bit disjointed, but Ian managed to pull off one of the coolest tricks I've ever seen - changing everything - your physical makeup, your role and your weapons - midstream. And it involves the ultimate in evil, making Evil look like a walk in the park.

: The Classified 19 is also supposed to be quite good, I haven't
: gotten around to playing it myself :\

Actually, only the first chapter is out, and that doesn't even use the levels from the demo. TC19 has an intriguing plot, but it is the opposite of Rubicon - you, the player, have absolutely no role in choosing outcome - you're totally along for the ride. You aren't destiny, but you are priveledged to witness destiny in the making. A very enjoyable scenario indeed.

: There are also a lot of less epic but still enjoyable scenarios like Fell,
: Origin of Species, Operation Vengeance (::snicker::), D-Day, An AI
: Called Wanda, Jigsaw, and Siege of Nor'Korh.

Fell is an advanced level - don't even try it until you feel comfortable in tight situations. It's tough in only a few spots, however, and I've made some suggestions to Ben for making it a bit more playable on TC in the few rough spots that exasperate even the best of us. He's working on v. 3 now, which will contain even more levels (some secret ones, too, if he takes my advice). Fell is definitely a must play.

My thoughts on Origin are in another post. OV, by Mark, is an excellent scenario - difficult, but playable and with another of the coolest tricks around. Haven't you always wanted to pilot a Jugg.? D-Day starts with a rather lame premise, and the ending is a bit trite, but the game play is excellent and level design is outstanding. It also uses a neat trick - if you fail to find the fusion pistol on the first level, you're forced to repeat the level - an idea that's so obvious, I'm surprised that no on else has used it.

An AI Called Wanda - it's been a long time since I played that one. The plot could be a bit smoother in places, but the overall premise is excellent and gameplay is very good - definitely a must play. Jigsaw?? - not one of my favorites - I like puzzles, but this one's overdone.

Siege of Nor'Korh - If you've played Evil, then you definitely need to play this one sooner rather than later. It's the prequil to Evil, and just as excellent. Frigidman is still one of the best mapmakers of all time. Now if I could just manage to get past Shmackle on TC . . .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Best 3rd party scenario?Vid Boi 6/17/02 6:57 p.m.
     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Boomer 6/17/02 8:05 p.m.
           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/17/02 8:26 p.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/17/02 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/17/02 10:00 p.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd party scenario?C Lund 6/18/02 8:31 a.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/18/02 11:04 a.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Claude Errera 6/18/02 11:08 a.m.
                                               Re: Best 3rd party scenario?C Lund 6/18/02 3:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/18/02 3:56 p.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?C Lund 6/18/02 5:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Agent Cletus 6/18/02 5:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd party scenario?D-M.A. 6/18/02 2:10 p.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/19/02 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/19/02 4:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Scott 6/19/02 5:59 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/19/02 11:58 p.m.
                                               Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/20/02 12:54 a.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mazilurik 6/20/02 9:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 12:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/20/02 9:50 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Scott 6/20/02 10:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 12:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/20/02 12:26 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 2:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Vid Boi 6/20/02 4:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/19/02 6:02 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/19/02 11:59 p.m.
                                               Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/20/02 7:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Claude Errera 6/20/02 2:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 6:16 p.m.
     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/19/02 8:03 a.m.
     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Vid Boi 6/19/02 7:24 p.m.
           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/19/02 7:29 p.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 12:07 a.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Vid Boi 6/20/02 12:14 a.m.
           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 12:05 a.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/20/02 7:20 a.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/20/02 11:58 a.m.
           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Joseph Nunweek 6/21/02 3:49 a.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Steve Levinson 6/21/02 7:58 a.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?:: Beer Can :: 6/21/02 12:10 p.m.
     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?granny smith 6/20/02 2:32 p.m.
     Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Dan Johnson 6/20/02 11:13 p.m.
           Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Scott Noblitt 6/21/02 2:24 p.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Claude Errera 6/21/02 2:44 p.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/21/02 5:13 p.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Vid Boi 6/21/02 5:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mazilurik 6/21/02 6:30 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd party scenario?Mark Levin 6/21/02 6:37 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.