/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream You
Posted By: YossarianDate: 6/6/02 10:38 p.m.

In Response To: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream You (Steve Levinson)

: see the screen as I typed. That's why the Wheeling Hubcap Factory
: higher-ups liked me.

: Wheeling Hubcap Factory? That hardly seems to fit with a lab and computers.
: There’s another story here, and it has nothing to do with hubcaps. Do I
: sense a metaphor here? Or is it a metapfhor? In any case, there’s more of
: this story to come.

We first learn of the Wheeling Hubcap Factory in the original Marathon, Never Burn Money, Terminal Three, the Gerrit White Terminal:

"...The schoolyard was usually a place where Gheritt and his
friends would play football or foursquare or something, but
today, there was an edge. Maybe everyone had eaten cereal
with milk that was about to go bad, or maybe there was too
much smoke in the air from the wheeling hubcap factory..."

The lack of capitalization in Bungie's use of "wheeling hubcap factory" makes matters a bit tricky. Is it the Wheeling Hubcap (tm) factory? Or is it the Wheeling (tm) factory that makes hubcaps, as in a division of manuacturing? Perhaps its the Wheeling (city) hubcap factory, in which the location and product is stated but not the company...as in "that one hubcap factory they have in Wheeling"? The non-capitalized version we see in M1 leaves one to believe that its merely a factory that makes wheeling/wheeled hubcaps or hubcaps especially for wheels, much like one might say a beer bottle factory....

However in Rubicon its the exact opposite. "Wheeling Hubcap Factory" would make one believe that this is the registered title of a corporation.

So now we have two separate "dreams" that are somehow connected by the same three words. What's caused the shift in those words' meanings?

There has been a lot of speculation about the Gerrit White terminal...as in who wrote it, who sent it, and of course its meaning. I don't want to get into that too deep but it would seem that by whatever means certain parts the Gerrit White dream made it into this particular Rubicon dream somehow caused the dreamer to misinterpret some of the content.

For example, what if the Gherrit White terminal was actually written by Durandal. The terminal text may have made such an impression on the Marine and he was able to relate to it so much by the time we play Rubicon that when he had dreams of his own, information from the Gerrit White terminal re-manifested itself...but the Marine had no way of knowing the state of the wheeling h. f. so in his own dreams he imagined it as a company name instead of a common around-town name of the place.

But its also possible that the marine was once Gerrit White AND the W.H.F. employee/scientist in the same lifetime. It's possible that little Gerrit grew up to work in the WHF, eventually blew up his lab as we later learn, is incarcerated, and has his whole experience we read about in the Never Burn Money Terminal. This would certainly make sense when we read about the "kids ensconced in technology"...which makes one think that the scientist's dream takes place after Gerrit's in true chronological time.

But its ALSO possible that these are the dreams/memories of two separate people...Gerrit and the WHF scientist. Remeber how Gerrit said how maybe there was too much smoke from the factory? Perhaps that was because there had been an explosion that day...a certain explosion caused by C4 maybe?

I believe that the presence of rats in both Gerrit's dream and in Rubicon in general is important. The analogy seems to work on different levels, but I think the main theme is one of freedom/captivity. We see rats in both states while playing Rubicon. But remember also what Gerrit did to his rat...

Submarines don't usually have rat or even insect infestations as the food is usually secured and sealed...I suppose the same would be for a self-contained UESC Salinger several centuries in the future. So you probably wouldn't see a rat on the Salinger unless you were......dreaming?

Alright, that's a bit dramatic, they could have escaped from the labs.

Happy now?

Yossarian

P.S. For reference one should consult the Story Page's Facts and Puzzling Things About...(Gherrit White) .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouSteve Levinson 6/5/02 9:39 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouYossarian 6/6/02 10:38 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouSteve Levinson 6/7/02 8:35 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouSteve Levinson 6/29/02 1:55 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouRincewind MoG 6/29/02 8:37 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - We Dream YouSteve Levinson 6/30/02 10:34 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.