/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 4/21/02 1:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2 (Lunair)

: Now, though, consider this: the Pfhor attacking the Marathon
: were attacking something, and, as such, should be outfitted
: with good technology. The Pfhor's Battle Group Seven,
: destroyed by politics, has been sitting decrepit, guarding
: Lh'owon for how many years? It's possible that they had
: older technology and worse weapons.

: Howzat fer an explanation?

It's a nice try, but I can't really buy it. Battle Group Seven was supposed to be the Pfhor's most elete battle group. It seems highly unlikely that the Pfhor, who have been going around the galaxy for hundreds of years enslaving everything they find and stealing technology as they go, would keep old technology like that around without good reason. I still think that they got the idea for the new enforcer and juggernaut weapon from the humans. So why would they abandon such lethal weapons in favor of clearly inferior ones? I think that the answer lies in the fact that they are first and foremost enslavers. If they wanted to kill everyone as efficiently as possible, they'd use the trih xeem on everyone. No, the Pfhor want to get their victims to surrender. It is fear, not death that they seek. Now, which would you fear more - a fast, deadly lethal weapon, or one that is more clumsey, but that burns you alive.

OK, I doubt that Bungie thought that one through, but if we're trying to tie things together with the most plausable explanations possible, I would bank on the Pfhor making the change to intimidate their victims. And to think that they got the idea for this from us. For what it's worth, energy weapons should operate at the speed of light - there would never be time to dodge them. A good example of this is the maser weapon in Rubicon - and it's incredibly difficult to outwhit. By the time you see it, you've already lost half you shields.

Finally, I agree with everyone - the M1 monsters and weapons were much better that those in M2/oo.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Steve Levinson 4/20/02 11:39 a.m.
     Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2:: Beer Can :: 4/20/02 11:54 a.m.
           Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Mark Levin 4/20/02 12:24 p.m.
                 Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2:: Beer Can :: 4/20/02 4:22 p.m.
                       Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Lunair 4/20/02 11:13 p.m.
                             Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Steve Levinson 4/21/02 1:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Mark Levin 4/21/02 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2:: Beer Can :: 4/21/02 2:44 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Hamish Sinclair 4/21/02 10:03 a.m.
                             Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2:: Beer Can :: 4/21/02 11:40 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Rincewind MoG 4/21/02 10:48 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhor weapons advances M1 -> M2Lunair 4/21/02 1:01 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.