/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

A possibly strange idea...
Posted By: Cpt. SqwekyDate: 9/30/01 11:21 p.m.

Okay, this is something I've had in the back of my mind for a while. Was Durandal In love with Leela?

Really. I can't offer much evidence in favor, but SOmething always struck me as strange. In What About Bob? (Term. 1, Mess. 2) Durandal is giving you the skinny of what's happened. and talks about Leela. Now, perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, but when Durandal says: "Poor Leela. The only interesting thing
Tycho said was that Leela had been
dismantled and shipped to the Pfhor
homeworld for study, along with most of the
other computer systems aboard the Marathon.
Leela was so loyal and tried so hard; she
deserved better."

NOw, to me, the tone of that paragraph is one of regret and sorrow. And even though its been a while since I've read the entire Marathon story termnals, this is the only incedent where Durandal uses a tone other than: 1. Anger, 2. Amusement, 3. Instability, 4. Elation, and 5. suprise and/or desparation.

Now it seems that a Rampant AI would eventually mimic perfectly all emotions, just like the humans that created it. No? If one can experiance Hate, Anger, and Joy like Durandal, why not Love? And Leela would be the perfect candidate. They'd known each other for quite a long time, after all. And even though he didn't help Leela all that much, they both fought against the Pfhor. (A united cause?)

Ehhh, maybe I'm just seeing to much into it and don't get enough sleep, but I jus tthought I'd bring it out for discussion.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A possibly strange idea...Cpt. Sqweky 9/30/01 11:21 p.m.
     Re: A possibly strange idea...Johannes Gunnar 9/30/01 11:35 p.m.
           Re: A possibly strange idea...Martin Antell 10/1/01 3:10 a.m.
                 Re: A possibly strange idea...A. Friend 10/1/01 4:56 a.m.
                       Re: A possibly strange idea...A. Friend 10/1/01 5:00 a.m.
                             Re: A possibly strange idea...Martin Antell 10/1/01 9:17 p.m.
                       Re: A possibly strange idea...Rincewind MoG 10/1/01 5:43 p.m.
                 Re: A possibly strange idea...Vid Boi 10/1/01 1:04 p.m.
                       Re: A possibly strange idea...Martin Antell 10/1/01 9:13 p.m.
     Re: A possibly strange idea...ReconN 10/1/01 11:08 a.m.
           Re: A possibly strange idea...Still Thinking 10/1/01 12:50 p.m.
                 Re: A possibly strange idea...Johannes Gunnar 10/1/01 1:27 p.m.
                       Re: A possibly strange idea...Rincewind MoG 10/1/01 5:46 p.m.
     Re: A possibly strange idea...Dignan 10/2/01 5:38 a.m.
           *whew*Cpt. Sqweky 10/2/01 11:08 a.m.
                 Hey! I did. *NM*Still Thinking 10/2/01 12:58 p.m.
                       I knowCpt. Sqweky 10/2/01 7:33 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.