/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon Canon
Posted By: YossarianDate: 3/20/04 11:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon Canon (Ernie)

: Regarding ym bit on the Nar: I'm going from my knowledge of them from the
: Storypage and Forrest's description of them I've read. Apparently it's
: inferred that they are privateers in Marathon 2.

Yes, the closing screen I believe.

: To say it's contradictory is a valid point, given I think I need more
: clarification of the issue here. I'm trying to say that the Nar are
: privateers, but it's unknown (due to their backwards nature) how they EVER
: managed to capture ANY vessel, let alone travel into space to do so.

I guess that depends on how big of a part they play in what you are trying to do. If they're a mere footnote, I think you'ne got pretty much what you need. If you need something more from them, then I guess that's a concept you can really have a lot of fun with. AFAIK no one's ever tried incorporating them into a scenario.

The Vylae are pretty much an empty canvas as well. I think the fact that these races exist free of the Pfhor empire has interesting implications; are they allies with the Pfhor? Are they allied against them? Are they at war? Do the Pfhor and the Vylae maintain a mutually beneficial trading relationship?

: Good breakdown of the governmental bodies.
: Regarding UNSC, etc. : If you can't tell, I'm trying to mesh components of
: the Halo universe with that of Marathon. Of course, this could cause
: issues.

I figured you might be trying to do this. Are you planning to bridge the gap, so to say, between the universes?

There exists many time line descrepancies between the two - but
: they at one point had a common source. The split may have occured before
: the time of PiD (maybe the sleeping God (W'kr) didn't crash on Earth in
: what became the Halo alternate timeline/universe.

It's entirely possible, then again it's just speculation. In both Marathona and Halo it is given that these are events that occur in our future, in humanity's future. Whether they exist in the same future is debatable. But this being the fact, the common source is, by default, today.

: But to actually address the UNSC, etc bit included in my Terminal there: I
: don't think the United Nations would simply give up it's name/control over
: world affairs to a governmental body like the UEG without a period of
: transition.
: There would be a historical/formal transition from "United
: Nations", to an "United Earth". Simultaneous
: transformations would occur with UNSC -to- UESC and UNSG to UESG.

Personally, and just personally, I don't think UESC or UESG or UNSC are very good choices to name an interstellar government. UESC implies that a "United Earth" is this body, but do the other planets and colonies not have sovereignty and self-determination? "United Nations" is even sillier. I can see nations staking claim to parcels of land on nearby moons and planets in our solar system, but to think that a body representing the nations of Earth dicatating interstellar policy is kind of hard to believe...

: It does! Thanks. If you can pick appart my explanations, please do. I'm also
: looking forward to those submissions to the MaraFF.

Yup. Status reports on them: I've got one of them (working title is "Man on Fire") up to 6600 words in its first draft, and I'd like to get it somewhere around 8000-10000 before it's finished. It's about two months old but I've been working on it here and there. It is my biggest so far. If I were so inclined, I could push to beat Scifiteki's 18,900 word "In Your Nature" series, but that would take couple additional months to do this isn't the right story for me to do it with. Unfortunately, I cannot give a date of release for it; sometimes it seems it is the stories that decide when they're finished and not me; they don't like deadline. ;)

For reference, my last twin submission (GoW and MM) to MaraFF were about 5500 words a piece, 11,000 total if you count them as one, though I do not, as they developed quite differently and seemed to, well...find each other I guess.

The other (working title is "Rise, Fall") is about a week old but is already up to 4400 words in its first draft, and its gonna be a biggie too. I was working late one night and it smacked me right upside the head. I opened a new Word (yes, sorry) document and popped out the first 1700 words in one sitting. I actually got the idea for it from a recent forum post here. Again, no idea when it's gonna be done.

Both of them will definitely see the light of day though.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon CanonErnie 3/19/04 6:37 p.m.
     Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon CanonAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:53 p.m.
     Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon CanonYossarian 3/19/04 7:47 p.m.
           Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon CanonErnie 3/20/04 2:32 p.m.
                 Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon CanonYossarian 3/20/04 11:04 p.m.
     Re: Ernie wants YOU to clarify Marathon Canondeathmonger 3/21/04 3:31 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.