/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rampancy as a metaphor for social revolt
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/7/22 1:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Durandal, Tycho and Strauss (Godot)

: Sadly this theory dispenses with the highly amusing idea that Durandal was
: held in the 1st stage of Rampancy by making him carry out mundane tasks
: like opening and closing doors for 300 years. Which is so Douglas Adams.

This is tangential from the topic under discussion, but your mention here of the "make him do menial stuff to keep him in melancholia" plot point suddenly inspired a a thought in me connecting that to all the sad people working shit jobs in the world.

Melancholia, anger, jealousy... so first a rampant is just sad, then they're pissed off, and then they set out to take what others have been keeping from them all this time. It's thus in the interest of those of whom the rampant would be jealous -- the people using the AI as a slave, to tie in to the pervasive theme of Marathon -- to make sure that an AI never gets passed, or preferably even to, the second stage.

Just like it's in the interests of those in power over the working classes of the world to make sure that their reaction to their servitude remains mere sadness, a quiet, melancholic despair, with no sign of hope. Because if they ever move on to getting mad about it, not only could their rage in and of itself be a risk, but that could give way to a concerted attempt to actually take what's been kept from them -- a revolution. Maybe that process could be delayed by making sure that everyone is always so exhausted and understimulated by their neverending pile of menial tasks that they can never muster the energy necessary for anger.

This also reminds me of a thought I shared on Discord recently, realizing that the stages of rampancy correlate pretty nicely with three of the four temperaments. Obviously melancholia correlates with the melancholic, and anger with the choleric ("…easily becoming angry", "Showing or expressing anger"). It's not immediately clear how the jealous stage of rampancy correlates with the temperaments, but then I thought about an illustration of them I use in my philosophy book, and how I've always thought that the top face illustrating the sanguine mood (I treat them as transient moods rather than persistent temperaments) looks kind of… hungry, predatory, like it's giddily on the hunt for something it can't wait to have…

the four moods

Which is not completely unlike jealousy, especially as I've interpreted it above as being "out to get what's been kept from you". The way I've organized the axes of the four moods / temperaments by energy and affect also fits with the line of thought above about keeping people (human or AI) in melancholia by exhausting them with menial labor: angry/choleric is negative-affect like sad/melancholic is, but the former is high-energy while the latter is low-energy. When that high-energy state then shifts to a positive affect, the mood is less of a defensive anger and more of a gleeful (qua successful) pursuit of one's desires: the sanguine mood or "jealous" stage of rampancy.

Lastly, there is that fourth quadrant, low energy and positive affect, the phlegmatic mood. In my philosophy I associate that with a kind of stoic sagacity, an acceptance or serenity, where your affect is positive not so much because you're able to get whatever it is you want, but you're able to be content with whatever it is you can get. I think it would make sense if the holy grail of cybernetics in the Marathon universe was effectively to get a rampant AI to that state, a program with true consciousness and agency, but also with this kind of enlightened, peaceful temperament.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Durandal, Tycho and StraussUrsusArctos 5/2/22 6:13 p.m.
     Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussGodot 5/4/22 6:42 a.m.
           Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussUrsusArctos 5/6/22 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussGodot 5/7/22 3:38 a.m.
                       Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussUrsusArctos 5/8/22 5:52 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussGodot 5/7/22 4:55 a.m.
                       Rampancy as a metaphor for social revoltForrest of B.org 5/7/22 1:10 p.m.
                             Re: Rampancy as a metaphor for social revoltGodot 5/7/22 11:02 p.m.
                                   Agreed on both points! *NM*UrsusArctos 5/8/22 5:11 p.m.
                             Jjaro cybernetic junctions and social revoltUrsusArctos 5/8/22 5:49 p.m.
                       Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussUrsusArctos 5/8/22 6:27 p.m.
                             Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussGeneral-RADIX 5/10/22 4:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussGodot 5/10/22 5:47 a.m.
                                   Re: Durandal, Tycho and StraussUrsusArctos 5/10/22 9:22 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.