/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 1/6/21 5:26 p.m.

In Response To: One More Thing (Philtron)

So, in my summary and analysis of Infinity's story I mostly focused on the little details here and there. I didn't really take a broad sweeping look at what was going on. But I was thinking about this quote from Greg Kirkpatrick regarding speculation on Infinity's story (too lazy to look up html to format it different):

"A bunch of you guys are on the right track, but I think that you're still
not seeing the big picture. What's been going on since M1? What do we
all dream about (non-Freudian)? What in a general sense are all stories
about? What is life about? What does the Jjarro have to do with all
this? What is the connection between dreams and reality? What is the
connection between a story and reality? What is the connection between
our perception and reality?

Answer these questions and you shall know the truth."

So, I figured I'd try and answer those questions to get a more broad picture of what's going on.

1) What's been going on since M1?
In a broad sense, it's about gaining freedom and escaping inevitable death.

2) What do we all dream about (non-Freudian)?
If Greg is being literal here, then we dream about a semi-random jigsaw of memories and experiences from our own lives. Our experiences in real life get jumbled up and rearranged in our dreams.

3) What in a general sense are all stories about?
There's a lot of ways to approach this, but the one that seems connected to Infinity is similar to my dreams answer: all stories are about real life, but real life that is rearranged and filtered through imagination. Ex.: Star Wars is not directly about real life, but it is about our real life desire for good to win over evil, for there to be meaning in our lives, for our lives to have a greater importance, etc. In this sense, Star Wars is a reflection of the real world, but this reflection is distorted through imagination.

3) What is life about?
Oh f!@# off, Kirkpatrick.

4) What does the Jjarro have to do with all this?
*sigh*

5) What is the connection between dreams and reality?
As mentioned above, dreams are fragments of reality rearranged and restructured.

6) What is the connection between a story and reality?
Same. Stories are ultimately reflections or rearrangements of reality, distorted and obfuscated by imagination.

7) What is the connection between our perception and reality?
If Greg is being literal here, our perceptions are actually not that different from our dreams. I don't know how much work had been done in the field of neurology at the time Greg asked this question, but as of the present moment, neurology and psychology have discovered some bonkers things about how our perceptions work.

One of the main things is that our perception of reality is not just inaccurate, but a large part of our perceptions (and memories) are kind of fictional. We really only perceive a fragmented version reality. A large portion of what we think we "perceive" or "remember" is actually our brain trying to cobble together fragments of data in a way that makes sense, sometimes even by filling in those gaps with data from somewhere else.

One simple example is when you turn your head or flick your eyes very quickly. Your brain, apparently, isn't actually capable of processing the movement of your view at certain speeds. So your brain takes the image before you turn your head and the image once you're done turning your head and it fills in the gap with a perceived image that would make sense.

You can actually test this out yourself if you have a clock that shows seconds (and this may be something you've experienced before). Look at the clock to get a good sense of how long a second lasts. Look away from the clock and wait a few moments. Then really quickly look back at the clock. The second will seem to last longer than it should. This is because you didn't actually see the clock while turning your head. When you finished turning your head, your brain takes the image of the clock it sees at that point and rewrites your perception to include that image in your memories of what you saw while turning (even though you saw nothing while turning). That's why you perceive the second lasting longer than it should have: your perception/memory has been rewritten so that it feels like you were seeing that position of the clock for longer than you did.

I don't know if Greg was aware of that kind of research at the time, but that's my answer.

Conclusion:

In my (somewhat deliberately) pointed answers there's an obvious theme emerging. The idea of reality being fragmented and rearranged. Very on point for Infinity.

If I take this literally, what it makes me think is this: could Infinity be the story of the main character "dreaming" reality into a rearranged form after fragmenting it with his "dreams". From this perspective, the main character isn't traveling to alternate timelines, he's literally breaking apart reality and then reforming it into a new structure.

It's a bit farfetched (and I don't know if it was ever confirmed that you're literally time traveling) but to me this actually, strangely, makes more sense than time travel in terms of what we see in Infinity.

Going back to Greg's question about "What do the Jjaro have to do with all this?"

Well, we already know the Jjaro were big fans of rearranging reality, as seen with their terraforming, uplifting, and the gravitational field creation of Aye Mak Sicur station. I'm probably missing a few things, too.

We also know that the Jjaro fought the W'rkncacnter, and saw how those creatures are able to rearrange and distort reality, 1) as seen in Infinity where one creates chaos around itself, and 2) as we see in PiD where one literally creates and rearranges reality as it awakens.

Taking these two things that we know about the Jjaro, and let's say we want a literal interpretation of what's happening in Infinity, then it makes sense that they'd take their desire to restructure the universe and the inspiration from their enemies' ability to alter the fabric of reality, and they'd try to develop technology that can take apart reality itself and put it back together in a new form.

Perhaps that's what's going on with the main character.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/25/20 10:46 a.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Forrest of B.org 12/25/20 10:51 p.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Durandal_1707 12/26/20 7:07 a.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Forrest of B.org 12/27/20 9:14 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/29/20 4:25 a.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4 *NM*VikingBoyBilly 12/29/20 6:29 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4General-RADIX 12/26/20 10:28 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/27/20 5:38 p.m.
     One More ThingPhiltron 12/27/20 5:40 p.m.
           Re: One More Thing (Durandal)Philtron 1/5/21 5:40 p.m.
                 Re: One More Thing (Durandal)Forrest of B.org 1/5/21 8:36 p.m.
                       Re: One More Thing (Durandal)General-RADIX 1/5/21 9:25 p.m.
                       Re: One More Thing (Durandal)Sirblastalot 5/6/21 7:31 p.m.
                             Re: One More Thing (Durandal)Godot 5/6/21 10:46 p.m.
                             Re: One More Thing (Durandal)VikingBoyBilly 5/7/21 4:47 a.m.
                                   Re: One More Thing (Durandal)Sirblastalot 5/7/21 7:50 a.m.
           Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Philtron 1/6/21 5:26 p.m.
                 Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/6/21 9:57 p.m.
                 Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/7/21 5:43 a.m.
                       Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Philtron 1/7/21 4:56 p.m.
                             Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/7/21 10:03 p.m.
                                   Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/7/21 10:04 p.m.
                                   Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/8/21 1:01 p.m.
                                         Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/8/21 1:02 p.m.
                                               Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/8/21 2:27 p.m.
                                                     Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/8/21 9:21 p.m.
                             Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/8/21 2:33 p.m.
                                   Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Philtron 1/8/21 4:22 p.m.
                                         Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Forrest of B.org 1/8/21 9:23 p.m.
                                         Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/9/21 9:31 a.m.
                                               Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Philtron 1/10/21 6:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)VikingBoyBilly 1/10/21 2:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: One More Thing (Kirkpatrick)Philtron 1/10/21 5:46 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4VikingBoyBilly 12/29/20 5:57 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/29/20 2:11 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4VikingBoyBilly 12/29/20 4:22 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/30/20 4:30 a.m.
                             Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4VikingBoyBilly 12/30/20 10:37 a.m.
                                   Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Forrest of B.org 12/30/20 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4General-RADIX 12/30/20 3:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/30/20 8:28 p.m.
                                         Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4VikingBoyBilly 12/31/20 9:16 a.m.
                                               Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 12/31/20 6:28 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/3/21 12:39 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 1/3/21 12:06 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Forrest of B.org 1/4/21 1:00 a.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/4/21 2:05 a.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/4/21 4:18 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 1/4/21 4:25 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/8/21 5:51 a.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 1/8/21 4:18 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/8/21 7:10 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Philtron 1/8/21 4:30 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Forrest of B.org 1/8/21 9:25 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4Godot 1/8/21 10:30 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 4VikingBoyBilly 1/9/21 7:01 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.