/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 12/18/20 1:40 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2 (Godot)

: It may be expecting the final message of the S'pht'Kr which some have
: suggested provides the location of K'lia thus allowing the ansible to be
: correctly directed. In M2 we find the message before we activate the S'pht
: AI (Thoth). In this timeline we activate the S'pht AI first.

Ah, I forgot about that plot point.

: It is also my firm belief that it is not the Durandal-S'pht entity as that
: has a different logon graphic and does not communicate to you in this
: cryptic manner.

I think S'pht-Durandal do speak cryptically at least in Strange Aeons when they are first reborn. Also, there is apparently a terminal somewhere in You Think You're Big Time where there's also some cryptic style text from S'pht-Durandal.

But then after that they do speak in a much more straightforward way.

: It is my firm belief that the green text is a mistake (yes lots of those in
: Infinity). If it had been white text it would have matched the ending
: terminal on Ne Cede Malis and therefore finding this one on another failed
: ending would not be too unexpected. It would also match all the Electric
: Sheep terminals up to now. I like continuity.

I personally prefer to avoid chalking things up to "it was a mistake by the devs". It's too easy to do that for too many things in Infinity and it doesn't lead to any better understanding of what's going on.

I at least don't think that the text in Ne Cede Malis and Carroll Street Station are meant to match. They are written in very different styles. The Ne Cede text is written in third person and clearly directed at the player/main character and has a detached quality that feels more like a narrator. Whereas the text in Carroll Street is written in first person and seems directed inward; it seems much more like an actual character engaging in a monologue or soliloquy.

If the text was meant to be white and meant to be Thoth it might give an alternate reading combined with the reminder about the last message of the S'pht'kr. From this perspective Durandal dies permanently (somehow) and Thoth tries to take over the fight against the Pfhor, but without the 11th clan message he can't summon the S'pht'kr. But then that would bring into question, why would the Pfhor fire the tri xeem, and was the trih xeem even fired?

Ultimately the problem is that things arbitrarily change in different timelines. For example, in Chapter 4 there's no indication that the 11th clan's message has been found, and yet S'pht-Durandal are still able to summon K'lia.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Philtron 12/17/20 4:35 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Godot 12/18/20 4:53 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Philtron 12/18/20 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2pfhore 12/19/20 12:18 a.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Godot 12/19/20 6:59 a.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Philtron 12/19/20 8:24 a.m.
                             Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Godot 12/19/20 10:57 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2PenguinZero 12/27/20 3:01 p.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 2, Part 2/2Philtron 12/27/20 5:31 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.