/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Alien Resurrection
Posted By: MrHenDate: 2/27/07 8:45 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Vacuum Combat (TimBranin)

: As for sucking internal organs, I wasn't exactly sure of that either, I just
: know from the end scene in ALIEN RESURRECTION, but hey, it's
: Sci-fi/fantasy, we can play fast and loose with physics for the sake of
: drama.

I would suggest not repeating any of the science in that movie without looking it up first. More than likely the hybrid would have just pulled away from the wall and continued with a rather noticeable hickey. It has been a while since I have seen that movie, but I vaguely remember the entire creature being squeezed through a hole less than the size of a quarter.

Based off of the little information I have gathered, you would probably be able to place your hand over a hole that breaches into hard vacuum without much problem. It would eventually get rather cold, but your hand would remain intact with no serious injuries.

A leaking space suit would cause more problems due to lack of oxygen than problems of pressure. If there was an open wound, I would expect a globular blood flow to start squirting out of the victim and the oxygen leak to begin causing problems. I would not expect any problems involving organs or muscle mass to start pushing their way through the skin nor would I expect a huge increase in blood loss.

Of course, this is all very "boring" if you are just looking for a cool way to describe someone dying. I find scientific ignorance to be really annoying, but if it is something you are willing to endure, than so be it.

If one did happen to get themselves shot in a space suit while meandering around in hard vacuum, I would guess the best thing to do is to slap some duct tape over the hole. If the wound is too serious to ignore, than the poor bloke would probably want to contain the oxygen loss and then attend to the wound. If the oxygen is not a concern, cutting a hole in the suit to patch up the wound should be okay.

All opinion, obviously, since I really do not know too much about pressure systems.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Vacuum CombatTimBranin 2/26/07 8:41 a.m.
     Re: Vacuum CombatForrest of B.org 2/26/07 9:18 a.m.
           Re: Vacuum CombatTimBranin 2/26/07 5:05 p.m.
                 Re: Vacuum CombatJohn Denton 2/26/07 10:05 p.m.
                 Alien ResurrectionMrHen 2/27/07 8:45 a.m.
                       Re: Alien ResurrectionMcNutcase 2/27/07 9:12 a.m.
     According to NASA... *LINK*MrHen 2/26/07 9:28 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.