/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 9/19/06 5:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time? (treellama)

: Of all the textures I compressed with nvidia's tool (the ones on
: http://lhowon.org , have you tried them?), I've only seen two that I'm not
: happy with the quality. Landscapes are a different story, it's hard to get
: those to look right with any compression.

Downloading the textures from lhowon now.

My landscapes looked fine in JPEG, but then I was using "highest quality - 12" (in Photoshop terminology) compression levels on them.

: Level load time is about 7 seconds on my MacBook Pro, hehe. What would be a
: good set of textures to convert so you can see the quality and load time
: differences?

Nice load time. I just times myself here, I get about a minute loading the first level on my old G4 dual 450. Now you get why I really wanted smoother progress bars? :-)

The most stable (least likely to be changed any time soon) texture set is probably set 4, so if you'd like to convert that, I'll be happy to check it out. I don't think any one set is any more or less likely to look bad under high compression than another set would be.

: I see what you mean about the intro screen timing, that's fixed now :)

Woot! Thanks Gregory!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/19/06 2:06 p.m.
     Faster load times over file size *NM*Blake37 9/19/06 2:11 p.m.
           Same here. *NM*newreagan64 9/19/06 2:15 p.m.
                 Agreed *NM*kyjel 9/19/06 2:51 p.m.
                       Re: Agreed *NM*D-M.A. 9/20/06 12:48 a.m.
     Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/19/06 3:16 p.m.
           Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/19/06 3:52 p.m.
                 Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/19/06 4:14 p.m.
                       Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/19/06 5:53 p.m.
                             Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/20/06 2:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/20/06 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?RyokoTK 9/20/06 5:36 a.m.
                                   Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/20/06 8:34 a.m.
                             Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/20/06 3:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/21/06 5:48 p.m.
                                         Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/21/06 6:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Forrest of B.org 9/21/06 10:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/22/06 2:14 a.m.
                                                     Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?treellama 9/24/06 5:24 a.m.
                 Re: Opinion Poll: File Size vs Loading Time?Blake37 9/19/06 4:28 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.