/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping
Posted By: rampancyDate: 8/16/06 6:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping (RyokoTK)

: more. Nobody should use annoyance as a barrier in a map, period.

Speaking of which, I really dislike teaser rooms. I just don't see the point I suppose. I think I recall a teaser like on Honk was in Veni Vidi Cursavi.

: I agree with you, which is why I never tried to complete RED. And, in most
: cases, RX's PB/Recharger placement was reasonably good; certainly it kept
: enough of the game challenging. But Frog Blasting, to name one example, is
: absolutely hellish with those; not only are they not next to eachother
: (again, not preventing me from using both, just irritating me) but they're
: in the middle of frickin' nowhere. In fact, this is true of almost all of
: the earlier Pfhor Plank levels: sprawling, blandly-textured levels with
: really buried goals and distant PB/Recharger/terminal placement. Very,
: very bad. Salinger is a lot better in this regard.

I think that's another why I enjoyed the Tycho plank so much. The levels just flowed so well. Even on There's No Place Like Up, once you got the jumping right, you'd hit a good rhythm. There wasn't any aimless meandering but at the same time you got rewarded for doing a little exploring. I did run into problems on Carpe *mumble mumble Latin* but once I played my cards right I didn't have so much problems. I too had problems with enforcers and their damned homing cannons, but the trick is to get get the drop on them fast instead of trying to get at them from afar, like with the maserBobs. Attack of the Wheenies might also be chided for its save term/recharger placement, but to be fair it's a 2x charger, and halfway through the level you won't need to worry about combat anymore. :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 7:00 a.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 7:46 a.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 12:49 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/16/06 2:17 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 6:39 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:29 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 10:00 a.m.
                                         Ditto *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 2:18 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:19 p.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAdam Ashwell 8/16/06 3:47 p.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 5:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 6:50 p.m.
                                                           *restarts older save game* ;) *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:37 a.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:00 p.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/17/06 9:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:11 a.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAachim 8/17/06 12:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:47 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingpatrick 8/17/06 8:21 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:47 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingScifiteki 8/17/06 1:53 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingukimalefu 8/17/06 6:47 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 3:17 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:11 p.m.
                                                                                                     High-res stuff and very large filesForrest of B.org 8/17/06 4:38 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesBlake37 8/17/06 4:51 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filestreellama 8/17/06 6:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesukimalefu 8/17/06 7:00 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                               Eternal Pfhor texturesAaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:46 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:13 p.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:03 p.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:32 a.m.
                 Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Aaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Adam Ashwell 8/17/06 6:53 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/18/06 6:02 a.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/18/06 4:34 p.m.
                             Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 10:46 a.m.
                                   Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchAdam Ashwell 8/17/06 11:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 12:34 p.m.
                                               Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 12:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                           You insiders are making me jealous *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 7:24 p.m.
                                                                 Everything is on the dev siteForrest of B.org 8/18/06 1:40 a.m.
                                                                       Not found error--?? *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Not found error--??Adam Ashwell 8/18/06 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   A few notes and a requestAdam Ashwell 8/18/06 10:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: A few notes and a requestBlake37 8/18/06 12:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.