/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping
Posted By: rampancyDate: 8/16/06 5:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping (RyokoTK)

: Well, the other problem that I had was that Rubicon had some pretty damn
: irritating save/recharger placement. In my opinion, in non-linear levels
: (such as pretty much every Rubicon level ever), saving and healing should
: be fairly easily accessed by nearly any part of the level, and having
: several of them isn't such a bad idea. Saves being far away, or down a
: distant hallway, or otherwise frustrating to reach, isn't going to prevent
: me from using them when I need them; it's just going to piss me off. And
: Rubicon's realistic, dragging, sprawling, confusing architecture, which
: looks so fantastic the first time, is all kinds of frustrating the fifth
: time through because one of those fucking asshole Enforcers is lurking
: behind yet another corner.

At the same time, it takes the challenge out of a level if a pattern buffer or recharger is readily available around the next bend. There's no sense of urgency or tension because you don't feel that you're in any danger, and creating that kind of emotion is I think important if you're trying to imbue a palpable atmosphere into a level. Still, I understand that not all people like that in levels.

Generally though, I thought recharrger/PB placement was fair - I can remember 2x and 3x rechargers and power ups were present when the situation really called for them, like fighting the AMDDs. If there's one scenario which really suffered from insufficient save/recharger points, it would be RED.

Still, I agree with some of the earlier points you make. I ended up totally hating Frog Blasting/Blasting Frogs because for the longest time I was stuck not knowing where to go next - I ended up having to consult the old spoiler guide for help. And then there was Beg, Borrow and Steal which reminded me a lot of how I'd often I'd get lost in Come and Take Your Medicine.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 7:00 a.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 7:46 a.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 12:49 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/16/06 2:17 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 6:39 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:29 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 10:00 a.m.
                                         Ditto *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 2:18 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:19 p.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAdam Ashwell 8/16/06 3:47 p.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 5:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 6:50 p.m.
                                                           *restarts older save game* ;) *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:37 a.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:00 p.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/17/06 9:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:11 a.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAachim 8/17/06 12:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:47 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingpatrick 8/17/06 8:21 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:47 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingScifiteki 8/17/06 1:53 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingukimalefu 8/17/06 6:47 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 3:17 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:11 p.m.
                                                                                                     High-res stuff and very large filesForrest of B.org 8/17/06 4:38 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesBlake37 8/17/06 4:51 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filestreellama 8/17/06 6:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesukimalefu 8/17/06 7:00 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                               Eternal Pfhor texturesAaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:46 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:13 p.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:03 p.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:32 a.m.
                 Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Aaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Adam Ashwell 8/17/06 6:53 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/18/06 6:02 a.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/18/06 4:34 p.m.
                             Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 10:46 a.m.
                                   Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchAdam Ashwell 8/17/06 11:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 12:34 p.m.
                                               Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 12:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                           You insiders are making me jealous *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 7:24 p.m.
                                                                 Everything is on the dev siteForrest of B.org 8/18/06 1:40 a.m.
                                                                       Not found error--?? *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Not found error--??Adam Ashwell 8/18/06 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   A few notes and a requestAdam Ashwell 8/18/06 10:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: A few notes and a requestBlake37 8/18/06 12:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.