/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: irc.bungie.org
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/26/06 1:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: irc.bungie.org (Vid Boi)

: Because there's an IRC network called Bungie.Org!! =P

I see this confusion around a lot, between channels, networks, and servers on IRC.

A channel is, of course, basically a "room". Nothing special there.

A server is a particular computer which hosts such rooms.

A network is an arrangement of servers which *share rooms*. That is, if irc.lightning.net (my old fave) and irc.yourmom.com are both on the EFNet network, and I'm connected to one and you're connected to the other, and we both join #marathon, we'll be *in the same room*, even though we're on different servers. Servers on a network all (theoretically) mirror one another, and it doesn't matter which server you're on, just what network your server is with. (In practice, netsplits cause problems with this). A server, of course, does not *have* to be a part of a network.

Now I've not been on the new Bungie IRC channels at all, but back in the day the popular #marathon and #myth and #bungie channels were all on the EFnet network. As I recall freenode.net is an EFnet server, though that may be wrong. But either way, you can't tell someone to join the "irc.bungie.org" channel, though you could tell them to join a channel from a particular server. And likewise, you don't *have* to tell them what server to join if it's on a network server - just tell them the network. Most IRC clients have big lists of servers built-in with their network specified.

So - what network is irc.bungie.org on, if any? What network is irc.freenode.net on? What are the relevant channels available on the B.org server (or it's network?) You guys might be talking about the same place.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

irc.bungie.orgVid Boi 1/22/06 3:26 a.m.
     Re: irc.bungie.orgLegacyTyphoon 1/22/06 10:26 a.m.
           Re: irc.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 1/22/06 1:55 p.m.
           Re: irc.bungie.orgVid Boi 1/26/06 5:10 a.m.
                 Re: irc.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 1/26/06 1:51 p.m.
                       Re: irc.bungie.orgVid Boi 1/27/06 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: irc.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 1/30/06 3:24 p.m.
                                   Re: irc.bungie.orgdoy 1/30/06 4:32 p.m.
                                         Re: irc.bungie.orgReiginko 1/30/06 10:46 p.m.
                                   Re: irc.bungie.orgVid Boi 1/31/06 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: irc.bungie.orgSteve Campbell 1/27/06 3:52 p.m.
                             Re: irc.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 1/28/06 3:55 a.m.
                                   I'm a regular...Funkmon 2/2/06 1:55 p.m.
                                         Re: I'm a regular...Johannes Gunnar 2/2/06 2:14 p.m.
                                         Re: I'm a regular...Andrew Nagy 2/2/06 5:23 p.m.
                                               Re: I'm a regular...Callie21V 2/6/06 5:48 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.