/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The language of Destiny and fate in Marathon
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/8/05 10:03 a.m.

In Response To: The language of Destiny and fate in Marathon (Blayne)

: I was reminded today of a topic that's interested me for some time: The
: language of Destiny in Marathon.

: Since the topic sounds like a philosophy paper thesis, I'd appreciate some
: intellectual responses on the issue if people have time. :)

I don't have a lot of time, but I think the notion of destiny is one that is common in a number of Sci-Fi stories and games. Of course true science doesn't leave any room for destiny, and Infinity actually has an unique framework for reconciling the concept of destiny and science. In short, the timelines in which the marine failed to live up to his destiny were failed timelines that resulted in his and the universe's destruction. Since the only successful timeline was the one in which the marine fulfilled his destiny, it would appear that he was predestined to fulfill it. It's kind of like the argument that the only reason our universe supports life is that we're here to observe it.

A different argument can be made, however, that Durandal and Thoth were intended to be merged - that the Jjaro foresaw this event and were responsible for it. Although there is nothing in cannon to support this hypothesis, the fact that the merger did take place and that it was necessary to saving the universe speaks volumes. Many feel that Durandal at least in part had Jjaro origins himself, and Thoth certainly did. The marine likely also had Jjaro implants. Perhaps they were among many seeds that the Jjaro planted throughout the galaxy to forestall the destruction that the Jjaro themselves could not prevent indefinitely.

Third party scenarios are another story. There have been many different interpretations and I of course am most familiar with Rubicon. The interesting thing about Rubicon is that it was designed to be nonlinear with 2 (and now maybe 3) distinct outcomes, all equally plausable and all tied to the marine's destiny. At first blush it appeared tha the Jjaro were communicating with the player through his dreams and pushing him in the direction of the Salinger Plank. We had quite a discussion on this in the original Rubicon Volunteers Series and I proposed that the Jjaro were equally satisfied with the ending of the Pfhor Plank - by allowing the Achilles virus to be released, Durandal was prevented from acquiring its knowledge as a trumph card he could pull on humanity. So I guess destiny is multi-faceted.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonBlayne 12/8/05 7:22 a.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonSteve Levinson 12/8/05 10:03 a.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonForrest of B.org 12/8/05 3:00 p.m.
           Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonShadowbreaker 12/8/05 10:01 p.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonEnder 12/11/05 2:16 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.