/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The language of Destiny and fate in Marathon
Posted By: BlayneDate: 12/8/05 7:22 a.m.

I was reminded today of a topic that's interested me for some time:: The language of Destiny in Marathon.

We know from the Marathon:Infinity end screen that the player (to the speaker, presumably Durandal) is capital 'D' "Destiny". How does the rest of the trilogy, and in particular 3rd party scenarios like Rubicon, treat the topic of predestination, fate, and other events that are slated by the Jjaro to happen?

In writing WMaiD, I've come across this many times - how does one (and how did Bungie?) get around fate influencing the marine, and in turn, the marine influencing the destine events dictated by fate? It involves some chicken/egg logic, which is why I find it so perplexing.

Since the topic sounds like a philosophy paper thesis, I'd appreciate some intellectual responses on the issue if people have time. :)

Regards,
-Blayne

WMaiD

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonBlayne 12/8/05 7:22 a.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonSteve Levinson 12/8/05 10:03 a.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonForrest of B.org 12/8/05 3:00 p.m.
           Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonShadowbreaker 12/8/05 10:01 p.m.
     Re: The language of Destiny and fate in MarathonEnder 12/11/05 2:16 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.