/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 11/10/05 2:57 a.m.

In Response To: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23 (Steve Levinson)

: Goody, goody - a secret level! This is the only vacuum level in Trojan and
: one of 3 that lacks a pattern buffer - at least I've not found one! This
: is a moderately complex level and I'm going to provide a full walk-through
: since it's not covered in the Spoiler Guide.

Several things make me wonder if the authors of the scenario really meant for this level to be played. The first is as Steve mentions, that it is not discussed at all in the Spoiler Guide. While that might be the perfect way to keep the "secret" in a secret level, it makes no sense to me to go to the trouble of creating a "spoiler" guide and not mention all of the levels. I am not aware of a spoiler guide of any scenario that avoids any discussion of its secret levels.

The other things that makes me wonder if this level was not meant to be played are:

(1) the player must take considerable shield damage just to leave "Non Dormit, Qui Custodit" and reach "LovePuppy 23",

(2) there is no PB throughout "LovePuppy 23". While it is not what I would call a tough level, it is long enough and tough enough to make dying quite probable,

(3) the exit terminal on "LovePuppy 23" sends you to the level "Have Gun, Will Travel". At least for me, that level has a extremely tough beginning. Dying here before saving is almost a surety on TC, especially given that "LovePuppy 23" provides only a 1x recharger. Moreove, the nearest PB and recharger on this level are reached only after going through numerous enemies.

At best, choosing a path through the secret level strikes me as pretty unfair for the player, especially on TC.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Steve Levinson 11/8/05 2:13 p.m.
     Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23kyjel 11/8/05 3:19 p.m.
     Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Dr. John Sumner 11/10/05 2:57 a.m.
           Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Forrest of B.org 11/10/05 6:30 a.m.
                 Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Dr. John Sumner 11/10/05 7:12 a.m.
                       Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Steve Levinson 11/10/05 9:46 a.m.
                             Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23kyjel 11/10/05 10:07 a.m.
                             Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Dr. John Sumner 11/10/05 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Dr. John Sumner 11/12/05 5:53 a.m.
                 Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23Steve Levinson 11/12/05 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: Trojan Volunteers - LovePuppy 23kyjel 11/12/05 3:20 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.