/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Map editor for AlephOne.
Posted By: Me_43Date: 7/6/05 11:38 p.m.

In Response To: Map editor for AlephOne. (redmage13)

: I've been looking but I can't seem to find one. Would I have to get the
: original games to use it? If so, I have a Windows computer so all I can
: run is Marathon 2. I realize this is a bit of a noob question...

Hah. This is quite an interesting subject, for various reasons. Well, just one, actually. There's no one official map editor for AO. Though most people use Pfhorge or Forge, the actual list of editors for the various Marathon games is more-or-less:

Pfhorge
Forge
Pfhorte 1 & 2
Bloodhound
Hammer
Obed
Vulcan

And I'm sure there's more, too.
They all have their good and bad sides, and none are cross-platform. Ugh. This is something that should really be dealt with. Oh, and the ones that are finished are in many cases not well-written, too. And none have E0 support (Something I've tried to change, but basically the only active one is Pfhorge and it's creator was somewhat busy last time I asked. I tried writing it into Pfhorge then Pfhorte, but both are in *shudder* objective C, which isn't really cross-platform anyway, but more importantly I don't know it. Then I tried with Bloodhound and Hammer, but both are not close to being finished. ARGHH!!!)

Who wants to write a final one? The format isn't theoretically that hard to deal with, but in reality compiler bugs (THESE HAVE ALMOST DRIVEN ME FUCKING INSANE), little/big endian formats, strange short/normal/long ints, the way levels/maps are structured, a lack of documentation, and a completely inexplicable point format (oh not to mention randomly corrupted data, probably from compiler bugs >:| ) will kill you. . . . Okay, I'll keep trying.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Map editor for AlephOne.redmage13 7/6/05 7:09 p.m.
     Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Me_43 7/6/05 11:38 p.m.
           Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Tasnu Arakun 7/7/05 2:55 a.m.
                 Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Johannes Gunnar 7/7/05 3:49 a.m.
     Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Johannes Gunnar 7/7/05 2:01 a.m.
           Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Bob-B-Q 7/7/05 4:46 a.m.
                 Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Johannes Gunnar 7/7/05 5:49 a.m.
                       Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Me_43 7/7/05 3:58 p.m.
                             Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Johannes Gunnar 7/8/05 2:47 a.m.
                                   Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Me_43 7/8/05 3:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Map editor for AlephOne.redmage13 7/8/05 4:48 p.m.
                                               Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Me_43 7/8/05 5:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: Map editor for AlephOne.redmage13 7/8/05 5:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Map editor for AlephOne.redmage13 7/8/05 6:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Adam Ashwell 7/8/05 6:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Me_43 7/8/05 10:40 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Adam Ashwell 7/9/05 4:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Map editor for AlephOne.redmage13 7/9/05 12:24 p.m.
                                                                                   :) *NM*me_43 7/9/05 10:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Map editor for AlephOne.Simon/Sigma 7/10/05 3:33 a.m.
                                                           Re: Map editor for AlephOne. **image**me_43 7/11/05 1:15 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Map editor for AlephOne. **image**Simon/Sigma 7/11/05 3:42 a.m.
                                                                       Not the bugs! Anything but the bugs!me_43 7/12/05 12:31 a.m.
                                                                 Marathon .WAV (was: Map editor for AlephOne)Don Merlin 7/14/05 7:58 a.m.
                       Re: Map editor for AlephOne.america map 7/16/05 6:29 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.