/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Concerning the Master Chief and Destiny
Posted By: AfroRyanDate: 4/17/05 2:59 p.m.

In Response To: Character (howekern)

: Maybe it's just the utter lack of character development in Halo, but as far
: as personas are concerned, I doubt that Durandal or Destiny could ever be
: induced to cease their struggle, I don't think that a force sufficient to
: pacify them could be conceived. Baisically, I see in them an indominatable
: will, an unassailable conviction, that the Master Chiefe simply lacks.
: Durandal is Santiago, Johny is just a generic videogame hero.

Not to sound like a total Halo fanboy or anything...but I'm thinking you haven't read the Halo books...because if you had, you probably wouldn't say all that stuff about MC not having "indominatable will, an unassailable conviction." In fact, the books kinda make the point to say that those are the traits that set the MC apart from the other Spartans...but hey, whatever. I still can't get over how many people think the MC isn't Destiny in the first place! The whole "But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand" seems to make sense. If this description doesn't fit the MC, I don't know what does. Let me go somewhat in depth with this. I know that nearly everything I'm about to say is obvious, and has probably been debated before, but I am genuinely curious to know why so many people don't think the MC fits the Destiny profile. Obviously, the "you were dead a thousand times" part makes sense; this can be said of ANY videogame hero/heroine. The quote "A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand," can be split into two separate parts (obviously). However, I'm trying to look past the obvious, and to out on an "interpretive" limb here, but I believe the phrase "A man long dead" could refer to the fact that the MC, or rather, John, has been dead ever since he was kidnapped. After all, his replacement flash clone died fairly soon after taking his place, effectively killing "John," only leaving room for the MC, or rather, Destiny. "Grafted to machines your builders did not understand" is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll explain it in regards to the MC anyways. The MCs suit implements many technologies (especially the shield generator) that the scientists who gave it to the MC obviously didn't understand. In fact, the only way they could get it working was to base it off of captured Covenant technology, which was stolen by the Covenant from some lost civilization in the first place.

Thus ends my explanation/rant of why I believe the MC is Destiny. I would appreciate any feedback, especially from people who think the MC ISN'T Destiny, as I would love to see their counterpoint. I'm sorry to go so off topic from the original thread topic, and I by no means believe that the MC could beat MM...MM of course standing for Marathon Man (not the movie, silly). In fact, I'm sure the MC would be utterly annihilated, given MMs arsenal.

P.S. I know that there are those among you who believe that Sergeant Johnson is Destiny...but if he is, then how in the world would the phrase "Grafted to machines your builders did not understand" pertain to him?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Who do you think would win?Nicholai 4/9/05 6:04 p.m.
     Mjolnir gots Jjaro boxers. Win. *NM*luke9 4/9/05 8:06 p.m.
           Who doesn't love sexy Jjaro boxers?? *pic*Me_43 4/10/05 3:45 a.m.
                 Um, OK. :/ *NM*Reiginko 4/10/05 4:52 a.m.
                       What?!?! You got something against Jjaro boxorz??! *NM*Me_43 4/12/05 6:03 p.m.
           Jjaro Boxers linkThing What Kicks... 4/10/05 5:24 a.m.
     Re: Who do you think would win?Volu 4/9/05 11:15 p.m.
     Re: Who do you think would win?Bob-B-Q 4/10/05 5:01 a.m.
           Re: Who do you think would win?Reiginko 4/10/05 5:14 a.m.
                 Because Cortana can't beam poeple out into space! *NM*Bob-B-Q 4/10/05 7:06 a.m.
                       She can teleport them on theyre heads though ;-) *NM*duality 4/10/05 7:18 a.m.
                             ....even Tycho would defeat Cortana *NM*Nicholai 4/10/05 7:43 a.m.
           Re: Who do you think would win?Nicholai 4/10/05 7:42 a.m.
                 Re: Who do you think would win?Bob-B-Q 4/10/05 8:25 a.m.
                       My idea :^pukimalefu 4/10/05 11:04 a.m.
     Re: Who do you think would win?Mister Chief 4/10/05 12:57 p.m.
           Ah, but the MC doesn't get a WSTE-M! *NM*Bob-B-Q 4/10/05 2:50 p.m.
                 And everybody knows dual shotguns rule! *NM*ukimalefu 4/10/05 3:31 p.m.
                       To say nothing of ARs with grenage launchers *NM*howekern 4/10/05 3:49 p.m.
                             Re: To say nothing of ARs with grenage launchersDacku Kurst 11/11/05 9:47 a.m.
           Re: Who do you think would win?Nicholai 4/11/05 8:01 p.m.
                 Re: Who do you think would win?duality 4/13/05 2:11 p.m.
                       Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...AfroRyan 4/15/05 8:58 a.m.
                             Re: Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...Enkidu 4/15/05 10:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...howekern 4/16/05 12:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...Vid Boi 4/16/05 2:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...Nicholai 4/16/05 3:21 p.m.
                                               Re: Durandal Vs Cortana sounds interesting...Vid Boi 4/17/05 6:29 a.m.
                                                     Strong AIMrHen 4/18/05 5:21 a.m.
                                                           It's all speculation...duality 4/18/05 2:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: It's all speculation...Vid Boi 4/19/05 11:53 p.m.
                                                                 A .I.sJontar2b 11/15/05 3:50 p.m.
     Re: Who do you think would win?Tyler 4/10/05 5:30 p.m.
           Re: Who do you think would win?Forrest of B.org 4/10/05 5:43 p.m.
                 Re: Who do you think would win?Brian Wise 4/10/05 9:18 p.m.
                       Re: Who do you think would win?Forrest of B.org 4/10/05 10:16 p.m.
     Characterhowekern 4/13/05 5:02 p.m.
           Re: CharacterBrian Wise 4/13/05 5:23 p.m.
           Concerning the Master Chief and DestinyAfroRyan 4/17/05 2:59 p.m.
                 Re: Concerning the Master Chief and DestinyPZ 11/15/05 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: Concerning the Master Chief and Destinyukimalefu 11/15/05 1:50 p.m.
     Re: Who do you think would win?Dacku Kurst 11/11/05 9:49 a.m.
           Re: Who do you think would win?Jontar2b 11/15/05 3:43 p.m.
                 Re: Who do you think would win?Bob-B-Q 11/15/05 6:29 p.m.
                       Re: Who do you think would win?Ender 11/16/05 1:51 p.m.
                       Re: Who do you think would win?PZ 11/16/05 2:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.