/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?
Posted By: C LundDate: 2/14/05 12:22 p.m.

In Response To: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!? (TwelveMotion)

: How is progress on RX? Is that going to come out sometime soon or is it still
: a ways away?

Well, since you're asking...

Scott (the *other* guy in the original Rubicon), Jay (the guy supposed to update the textures), Mark (the guy supposed to customize AO for Rubicon) have all been claimed by Real Life issues (really busy at work, AFAIK). That means I'm pretty much the only one left working on RX - plus Steve.

If the only work left on RX was the levels, story, and terminals, I'd be chugging away at a steady pace and RX would almost certainly be ready at the end of this summer. However, all that is pointless since I do not have a proper engine for RX. I am confident I am able to do the necessary tweaking to adapt AO to RX - especially if Mark sends me his code, but first I have to be able to compile it. So far all I get are error messages about missing headers I can't find anywhere (and yes, I did install the SDLs at libsdl.org - the headers still aren't there). I've signed up for the forums at sourceforge to see if they can walk me through the compilation process. If not, then that's it for RX.

Once I've managed to get the engine compiling and tweaked the way I want it (assuming I really can do this), the next issue will be the textures. Hopefully, Scott or Jay's Real Life issues will be resolved by then and they can pitch in. If not, I'll have to muddle through the textures myself. While I won't be able to make textures as good as theirs, I'm still able to make textures that are better than those of the original. The glowmaps and animations alone are a huge improvement.

So it pretty much hinges on the engine thing. If I can't find anybody willing to walk me through the steps necessary to get AO to compile, then that's it. There will be no RX. If I'm not able to tweak AO so it does what I want, then that's also it (I'm pretty confident I can do this though - even though AO is Carbon) - which would be a shame, because I'm really quite happy with the way the levels have turned out. Both the old, updated ones and the completely new ones. And Scott really outdid himself with the textures before he got bogged down at work.

But if I get AO to compile and manage to work out a routine for handling the textures by myself, then RX should be out some time this fall. If Scott and/or Jay take care of the textures, then it'll probably be this summer. Those "deadlines" are mere estimates, BTW, and I'll break 'em if I feel like it. ;)

To those of you who are thinking about playing Rubicon AO... you're better off playing the original Rubicon based on the Infinity version. The AO version of Rubicon was an afterthought and it shows. The "AO light" version introduced several new bugs and bad visuals that weren't present in the Infinity version (the "shooting slave" bug being one of the more hair-raising ones).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Where can I get scenarios?TwelveMotion 2/13/05 8:33 p.m.
     Re: Where can I get scenarios?ukimalefu 2/13/05 9:12 p.m.
           Re: Where can I get scenarios?TwelveMotion 2/13/05 10:40 p.m.
                 Re: Where can I get scenarios?Steve Levinson 2/14/05 5:55 a.m.
                       Black Series with AO X?rampancy 2/14/05 6:29 p.m.
                             Re: Black Series with AO X?Jorge 2/16/05 5:25 a.m.
                 A few moreSteve Levinson 2/14/05 6:00 a.m.
                       Re: A few moreTwelveMotion 2/14/05 7:47 a.m.
                             Re: A few moreSteve Levinson 2/14/05 8:04 a.m.
                                   ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?TwelveMotion 2/14/05 9:11 a.m.
                                         Here is my SNTwelveMotion 2/14/05 9:19 a.m.
                                         Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/14/05 12:22 p.m.
                                               Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?rampancy 2/14/05 1:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?TwelveMotion 2/14/05 1:16 p.m.
                                               Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?Anaphiel 2/14/05 1:29 p.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/14/05 10:12 p.m.
                                               Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?Steve Levinson 2/14/05 2:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/14/05 10:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?Andrew Nagy 2/15/05 5:25 a.m.
                                                           Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/15/05 6:11 a.m.
                                               Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?thermoplyae 2/14/05 7:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/14/05 10:18 p.m.
                                               Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?Andrew Nagy 2/15/05 5:26 a.m.
                                                     Re: ANYONE? AIM ME RUBICON OS X?!?C Lund 2/15/05 6:14 a.m.
                             Re: A few morerampancy 2/14/05 1:19 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.