/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

How To Build A Scenario
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/8/05 1:32 p.m.

In Response To: My presentation for a new scenario (Tyler)

: Hello, members of the MSF. For the past few months since mid to late 2004 to
: today, I've been putting together a scenario. My goal for the scenario is
: to be unlike any before it. Therefore its not going to be Marathon
: related. So no Pfhor, S'Pht, etc. And I want it to prove that multiple
: timelines can exist and can be radicly different.

: People, I give you... November

I didn't read through your entire message yet (I'm at work and not even supposed to be here), but I wanted to point out, first of all, that there have been non-Marathon-related total conversions before, most notably Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge. And second, I'd like to give you some advice that I never heeded myself, and in hindsight reallly should have:

Start small.

A project like this is a huge undertaking that few individuals could complete themselves, and even then, it would take years. If you really want to do this, you're going to need help. You seem to realize this already - it's not that hard to figure out. The part that most people, my younger self included, do not realize is what it takes to get that help.

Up until about six months ago I had recieved sporadic help at best on my project Eternal. Now, suddenly, I've got some of the best content creators active in the community gladly helping me finish it. The difference between then and now is that I've released something and proven that this is a project worth working on, and that I am somewhat skilled (in some area, not sure which) and worth collaborating with.

Had I to do it all over again, I would have done as most successful scenariowrights have, and started by making and releasing a single map, maybe the first level of my project - a story hook and a starting point for me. Then revising it based on feedback again and again until I had released a single *really good* map to show off.

Then I would have made a simple map pack, five to ten levels, summarizing either the first chapter of my story or the major points of the overall story - and again, revise that based on feedback over and over until I've got a *really good* simple map pack.

Once you've gotten to this point, you've got a project and some talent to show and you can try recruiting someone to make your new textures. Work with that person until you've got the textures perfect and final, and retexture and re-release the map pack with these new textures so that they can get feedback too. Once everyone is generaly satisfied with the textures, start building the rest of the maps with them, and start recruiting people for your monsters, weapons, etc.

Unfortunately your project is not at all Marathon related so you can't apply any of this incremental work directly to the final project. You might be able to get away with using standard Marathon content (textures, monsters, weapons) as placeholders, using Pfhor but not calling them Pfhor, like Devil In A Blue Dress (the predecessor to Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge) did. Then when you get your new, custom content, you can start to swap it in in place of the old Marathon content until nothing of Marathon is left.

But one way or another, start small. Don't even attempt a project like this until you've got a simple and well-reviewed map pack released, and I probably wouldn't even try a map pack until you've released a single stand-alone map that everybody really likes. Not only will these build up your skill before you do a bunch of work that may need to be scrapped later, but they will get you and your project name recognition, and respect in the community, which will in turn get you help from other skilled and respected people, which is what you'll need in the end to complete your final project.

And one other thing: when you do start the final stage of the project, plan Plan PLAN! Think out and write up in excruciating detail everything you will *absolutely need* to get your message across well, and prioritize that first. Then also keep a list of everything else that you might just want, that could make the project better, and possibly hold that off for an "Extended Edition" or some such later. Set schedules and deadlines for yourself and stick to them. Resist the urge to revise core parts that will require, for example, all your maps to be retextured. Stick to your plan and see it through to the end.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

My presentation for a new scenarioTyler 2/8/05 12:56 p.m.
     How To Build A ScenarioForrest of B.org 2/8/05 1:32 p.m.
           Re: How To Build A ScenarioTyler 2/8/05 4:52 p.m.
                 Re: How To Build A ScenarioForrest of B.org 2/8/05 5:43 p.m.
     Re: My presentation for a new scenariothermoplyae 2/8/05 3:40 p.m.
     keep working on this, I like it! *NM*goran 2/10/05 8:01 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.