/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

New To Marathon
Posted By: ZetorDate: 9/20/04 3:38 p.m.

Yes, it's true, stupid newbie here. :(

I've just recently acquired the game Marathon about a week ago from a yardsale where I live in San Fransisco, California (don't think about tracking me down, I got a sniper rifle, a .45 pistol and a cell phone). When I asked the yard sale owner what the game was about, he said "Ah, it's just some game where you go around and blow up aliens. Kinda stupid." I looked up at the guy with a slightly arched brow. "You talking something like Wolfenstein or Quake II?" "Yep." So I decide to buy it. Pretty reasonable price and no apparent damage done.

Anyway, I must say that it is quite an interesting game so far. I've barely had any time to play it, so unfortunately i've only made it to some point in level 2. So far I've picked up on what is going on. The gameplay so far is pretty fun and reminds me of lots of the other games that i've played. The plot so far seems decent and sort of flows throughout the game unlike in something such as Quake. The plot isn't just given to you before you play just so you can see justification as to why you suddenly decide to barge in with your pistol and then some tazer gun or melee weapon to go blow crap up. I don't exactly know yet of any cool details to the plot other than an alien invasion has occured and the AIs got screwed, but at least the plot still flows throughout the game and the idea of reading from terminals is pretty cool. But one of the strengths I have found so far to Marathon is that it has really got a great feel to it. The game's graphics are pretty good for its time (though I care about graphics the least). It may be a wee bit of pixel-clad, but what I like most about the looks is the fact that the environments and cool colors much more than compensate for it. It gives a really dark and scary feel mixed in with a sci-fi, starship environment, and I think that's much more scary than in some haunted house. Now if I could just get that background music to work... Maybe I should try more memory.

So either way I would still like to play Marathon, but answer me this: IS Marathon just a game where you go around and turn monsters to goo? And how does this forum manage to stay alive? Basically every Unreal (not Unreal Tournament) forum i've been to is practically dead, as well as lots of other types of these sorts of games.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

New To MarathonZetor 9/20/04 3:38 p.m.
     Re: New To MarathonAnonymous 9/20/04 3:50 p.m.
           What sort of forum is this?Zetor 9/20/04 4:04 p.m.
                 Re: What sort of forum is this?Anonymous 9/20/04 4:15 p.m.
                 Re: What sort of forum is this?Anonymous 9/20/04 4:17 p.m.
                       *** Lag = Double Post *** *NM* *NM*Anonymous 9/20/04 4:18 p.m.
                 Re: What sort of forum is this?Andrew Nagy 9/20/04 7:59 p.m.
                 Re: What sort of forum is this?Vid Boi 9/21/04 11:05 a.m.
                 Re: What sort of forum is this?Speaker-To-Animals 9/21/04 12:42 p.m.
                       :( *NM*Document 10/2/06 8:57 p.m.
     Re: New To Marathonblake37 9/20/04 3:52 p.m.
           I'm santa clausZetor 9/20/04 4:08 p.m.
     Re: New To MarathonAdam Ashwell 9/20/04 4:00 p.m.
           Re: New To MarathonAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/20/04 5:30 p.m.
           My thought exactly *NM*Steve Levinson 9/21/04 8:01 a.m.
     Re: New To MarathonAndrew Nagy 9/20/04 7:24 p.m.
           Re: New To MarathonRyokoTK 9/21/04 2:47 a.m.
                 Re: New To Marathongoran 9/21/04 3:33 a.m.
                       Re: New To MarathonRyokoTK 9/21/04 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: New To MarathonForrest of B.org 9/21/04 5:14 p.m.
                                   thank you very muchblake37 9/22/04 10:42 a.m.
     Go to marathon.bungie.org/story *NM*D-M.A. 9/20/04 10:09 p.m.
     Re: New To MarathonYossarian 9/21/04 5:59 a.m.
     Re: New To MarathonC Lund 9/21/04 8:11 a.m.
     Re: New To MarathonAndromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 9:09 a.m.
           Re: New To Marathongoran 9/21/04 9:37 a.m.
                 Re: New To MarathonSteve Levinson 9/21/04 9:52 a.m.
                       Re: New To MarathonRyokoTK 9/21/04 4:03 p.m.
                             Re: New To MarathonAndrew Nagy 9/21/04 5:40 p.m.
                                   Re: New To MarathonRyokoTK 9/21/04 6:32 p.m.
                                         Re: New To MarathonAndrew Nagy 9/21/04 7:08 p.m.
                 Still not used to this forum *NM*. *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 9:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.