/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal - Level 5
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 9/3/04 8:06 a.m.

: That's fine with me, level 5 is completely unchange and thus shouldn't
: need any more testing at all. It will eventually be replaced... I hope.

: It has it's moments - I'll be curious to hear what John has to say about it.

Just thought I would start a new thread since the other one was getting long. Before I get started, I would ask that everyone keep my home state of Florida in mind as we prepare for yet another hurricane. As I write this, Hurricane Frances is supposed to cross the state and exit to the north of Tampa. I am praying that all we get out of it is rain. It's so weird right now. I am at home, while the university is closed for the weekend. It's sunny, warm, with partly cloudy skies. Truly the calm before the storm.

Ok, let's talk about Level 5 - Un-Wired. Several years ago I remember the Battle Cat once saying "Give me a Pattern Buffer and a recharger, and I'll beat any level". These words are so true for this level. I finished playing it a few minutes ago. Been playing it all morning. I really do love this level. It's certainly the most ambitious of the first five. Forrest, in your quote above, when you said "It will eventually be replaced... I hope", I hope you did not mean getting rid of the level. Folks, this is a fun level to play. It's long, I'll agree. Is it hard? Sure it is in places. I think it has a particularly tough opening. Except for several minor things I will enumerate below, the only major suggestion I have is that it might be wise to move the first PB the player encounters to a position a bit closer to the beginning of the level. You might also consider replacing the 1x recharger with a 2x recharger. My experience is that Troopers and 1x rechargers don't mix well and generally make for a very tough level. However, if no one likes either suggestion, that's ok. I got through the opening anyway.

I ran across several minor things I want to talk about concerning this level, and in some cases all scenarios in general.

(1) When the player is standing on poly 731 and tries to jump TO THE RIGHT around the barrier to get to poly 743, the player is instantly teleported back onto poly 731. Jumping to the left is no problem.

(2) While I was stand-punching the Hunter on poly 759, I innocently activated and deactivated the switch behind the Hunter. This partially opened the door the switch is supposed to open. Unfortunately, the door was then stuck open since the switch would no longer activate it.

(3) This level contains several platforms that take the player from one floor to another and deactivate at each level. I generally do not like platforms of this kind. I wish mapmakers would use them only sparingly. It's sometimes very easy to accidently activate the platform as the player is getting off, not notice that the platform has been activated, and then later upon returning to the platform realize that the platform is on the other floor, trapping the player. I personally would rather see all platforms of this kind deactivate at the initial level unless there is a clear reason for having them be one-way platforms.

(4) While standing outside the small room containing the exit terminal, it's possible to strike the enemies within the room through the window. They on the other hand do not strike back. I suppose they can't since none ever took a shot at me. I was able to fist a Trooper until he berserked. He then took out everyone else including the MOAH.

(5) I noticed that all of the Hunters appear to be floating just off the ground. There is a definite distance between their feet and the ground. This seems to have an effect on the behavior of several of them - they become lethargic and won't fight. I think this is principally because their height together with the distance between their feet and the ground makes them too tall for the room they are positioned in.

(6) There is a bit of a run from the last PB used to the exit terminal. Given that the player has to destroy two switches and read the terminal before exitting, it might be wise to have a PB in this small room. Keep in mind that I make this observation before playing the next level.

(7) The walls at lines 1071 and 1074 are very bouncy.

Once again, I really like the level. It was fun to play. It was long and challenging, but very fair to the player (with the possible exception of the opening.)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal - Level 5Dr. John Sumner 9/3/04 8:06 a.m.
     Re: Eternal - Level 5/6Steve Levinson 9/3/04 9:00 a.m.
           Re: Eternal - More Level 6 musingsSteve Levinson 9/3/04 9:55 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal - More Level 6 musingsAdam Ashwell 9/3/04 10:13 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal - More Level 6 musingsDr. John Sumner 9/3/04 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal - More Level 6 musingsDr. John Sumner 9/3/04 11:58 a.m.
                             Agreed *NM*Steve Levinson 9/3/04 12:34 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.