/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/30/04 7:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View (Steve Levinson)

: As a compromise, how about putting the
: jetpack directly under the player - that way it wouldn't be quite so
: obvious unless you went back for it, but the vidder would be assured of
: having it. Now, back to the idea of vidding without the jetpack. John,
: have you tried it? Trust me - it's a good vid and unlike flying over the
: monster's heads, a decent challenge.

Put it behind the player. If you place it under the player, then anyone playing on TC will be forced to grab it and will notice that they have grabbed it. (because of the TC redundant weapon bug in M1)

As for the vidding, I think you are still missing my point Steve. Ok, sure it might be a greater challenge to ignore the jetpack and do it as you describe. But the level was meant to be played with the jetpack (was it not? or am I missing something about this level?) and that's how I would prefer to post a vid film. Again, I stress that someone might be viewing the film just to see how to do the level with the jetpack. They might not be able to do the level otherwise.

: Or wasps as the case may be? ;^) Now where have I heard this before? Frankly
: I find there's a big difference between infinitely regenerating wasps and
: infinitely regenerating fighters.

My point was not that it's difficult to fight those fighters. They're not. In fact, that room is fairly easy. It's just annoying to have those regenerating fighters. Heck, I never said the wasps from Newton weren't annoying. They were. Just not as annoying as I once thought they were.

: Also agreed, which is Why I suggested doing something with it. The player at
: minimum shouldn't be penalized for going there and preferentially should
: get a reward. I would favor making the door on the other side a working
: door - a good player should be able to survive the room with minimal ammo
: or shield drain and, thus emerge from it better off than if they swam in
: the plasma. A small ammo cache wouldn't be a bad idea, either, but I find
: on TC that I generaly have way more ammo than I need to finish the game.

I didn't mean to imply that the level can't be improved. Sure it can. Putting a 2x recharger and PB in this room (or even closer to the last room) would be a good start. Then I would have a reason to go into this room and fight the enemies. That's really my only complaint. Give me a reason to want to stay around and fight in this room and the last room.

: It's really a shame, because I think this room could be a lot of fun if there
: were more to do. As I stated before, getting through it quickly is a
: better than even bet, and that's the first thing that should be changed.

As long as there is a 2x recharger and PB accessible, then I agree. Make the player earn their way through the room. At the same time, give them a reason to want to stay and fight.

: In any case, the problem is that
: it takes too long to kill the juggers, there is no way to save your game
: and no way to recover from a miscalculation.

Ah, you made my case for me right there!!! From the moment I jump down from the 2x recharger, what reason is there for me to hang around and fight in the last two rooms? It's more to my advantage to skip all of it and take my chances with the beginning of Omega. The risk is too great in my opinion. I suppose that's what I don't like about the level. It gives ME no incentive to stay and fight. I'd rather skip it and get on to a level that does give me an incentive (Omega).

: Making the juggers
: susceptable to their own weapons would go the rest of the way - they're
: not immune to your rockets, so why should they be immune to theirs?

Yes, I agree. It would also make it more interesting on Mece's Inferno. Right now, there is no incentive to fight those Juggs since they are immune to practically everything.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/29/04 7:37 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 3:14 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View *NM*Steve Levinson 8/30/04 4:40 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 7:14 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 5:14 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 10:28 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 12:19 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewLittle Kago 8/30/04 1:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.