/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/30/04 3:14 a.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View (Steve Levinson)

: It's probably there to make it possible to vid the level or perhaps
: it is a leftover from testing, but if either of these are the case, Matt
: or Andrew, remove it now. You absolutely positively don't need a jetpack
: to vid this level, and I have a film to prove it. In fact if you're a
: decent player, it's pretty easy to vid it. You just need to be extremely
: quick on your feet.

No! No! No! Matt and Andrew don't remove it! Steve, the defining point of this level is to use the jetpack. That's why this level is there. I believe you when you say that it can be vid without using the jetpack. But anyone wishing to view this film might very well be viewing it to see how to get through it with the jetpack. I vote to leave it there. Remove it and a vid film just wouldn't be the same.

: There are a couple of invisible compilers ahead - fist them if
: you’re trying to vid it, otherwise use your shotgun to conserve O2.

In that immediate area, there is a tiny niche in the hallway. I like to get the compilers attention, wait around the corner until they get near that niche and then I scoot around them by going into the niche. It takes a bit of good timing, but is a nice way to avoid using up too much O2.

: John hates Room with a View, but I really basically enjoy it. It's not one of
: my favorite levels, but it's fun and a real challenge. John, I'm not sure
: what you don’t like about it and I'll look forward to reading your posts.

Ok, let's take these rooms one at a time. The opening room is certainly large enough to fight with fists or anything else a player would want to use. However, since the projectile fighters regenerate with a fairly high frequency, I find myself not wanting to spend much time in this room. Yes, there is a PB here and I am glad for that. However, except for saving, the room is totally uninspiring (from a fighting point of view). Having to deal with those projectile fighters every time I come into the room is annoying. Annoying like having gnats in your face.

The second room is the only room where I enjoy the action. Fighting those compilers is fun for me. There is plenty of room to circle them and a 2x recharger to reward your efforts at the end.

The third room is a complete mystery to me. Why in the world is it there? Why in the world would anyone want to go into this room? There are no rechargers, or PB's, and not even a way out other than the plasma stream surrounding it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the only feasible way to proceed after the 2x recharger is to jump into the plasma stream and avoid the room altogether. Is that really what Matt and Andrew had in mind? This room was meant to be one big tease? Or one big ammo waste? Or one big shield waste? Let's just say that I was disappointed when I first encountered this part of the level.

As for the last room, it's certainly impressive with all of the monsters and all it's beauty. But the Juggs are immune to each other's attack. I know because I checked the physics of the jugg. In fact, it's immune to the Magnum, AR, and Fusion Gun. Given those circumstances, if I decide to stay around and fight, then it's going to take possibly alot of time, possibly alot of ammo from the Missile Launcher and Faser, I am going to risk what's left of my 2x shields, and even then I am going to have to hope there aren't any enforcers in the hallway once I do try to make it to the exit. And to top it off, I am then going to have to HOPE that I can survive the opening of "Omega". And that is no sure bet since that level has a fairly difficult opening. Otherwise if I die in the process, guess what? I have to start all the way back at that PB at the beginning of Room for Rent. So, the strategy that makes most sense to me is to jump down into the plasma, immediately head for the hallway next to the enforcers, hope there are none there, and hope I can survive the opening of Omega. Fortunately, it doesn't take too long to decide whether I succeed in all of that or not.

To summarize, I suppose that is what makes this my least favorite level. From the moment I enter this level, I cannot wait until I get out of it. There just is nothing in this level that makes me want to hang around and fight it out.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/29/04 7:37 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 3:14 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a View *NM*Steve Levinson 8/30/04 4:40 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 7:14 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 5:14 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewDr. John Sumner 8/30/04 10:28 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewSteve Levinson 8/30/04 12:19 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Their Gamla/Room with a ViewLittle Kago 8/30/04 1:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.