Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.
Posted By: Bryan Newman <newman4208@hotmail.com>Date: 1/27/13 1:23 a.m.

HBOMB 2013 write up.

With the first annual Halo.Bungie.Org Mountain Bash officially under wraps I figured I'd give you a nice summary of the the event that you plebes missed out on.

Friday, Jan 18th 2013
1:30am Drink a diet coke in preparation.
2am… drive from Georgetown to Louisville, which is the worst town in the world and has shitty sports teams and an even shittier airport. (1 hour 15 minutes)
5 am…Louisville to Charlotte (The opposite fucking direction.)
later…Charlotte to Phoenix
laterer…Phoenix to Utah.

I land at around 4pm.

Time since last diet coke: 3 hours. I'm getting a little testy.
While waiting for my luggage, the damn carousel breaks. 30 minutes of Tex texting me to hurry the fuck up. I hurry the fuck up and finally get my luggage. I meet Tex for the first time.

Me: "Hi, pleasure to finally meet you! I'm Bryan!"
Tex: *"Bitch, get in the car before I cut you!"

*May not be what she actually said.

I get in the car. Schooly the greatest driver in the world, who at no point during our trip does a tokyo ice drift is driving. Awesome reunion. We fist bump. I meet Nart, and Ellesar for the first time. Nart is a Pokemon Master and better than me in every way and Ellesar is Aesthetic, carb free and is unfamiliar with white people customs.
Crazed, Avateur, Wilshire and Rowboat are in the other car. We drive to the cabin. I'd met Crazed, Avateur, and Wilshire at previous events before.
I notice we are missing some people…KP and Kanbo. Kanbo had some flight delays and KP was busy slogging through some hellish and foreign land known as "Boise" (I dunno, something to do with potatoes.) They would arrive much much much later.
So naturally our first instinct after choosing rooms (I bunk with Crazed and Nart. Nart snores. A LOT!) is to hook up our xbox's and get to debating which Halo was more blunderous; Reach or 4…Reach. This is a fact Avateur!!!

I decide to be a gracious gentleman and allow the group access to my XBL account. What was before a 2.6 K/D ratio is now a 2.17 *sigh*

Time since last diet coke… 6 hours. Downright cranky now.

We play lots of Halo 2 and Halo 4. Still no KP or Kanbo. Blunder count is so far at a minimum.

Tex, Schooly, and Ellesar go to get supplies. They arrive with Diet Coke. I grab the bag from the car…It splits and and the bottles of Regular (Blegh) and amazingly crisp and refreshing diet coke come blundering to the ground. They don't break!!! Blunder averted.

I rejoice but however must refrigerate the drinks first.

Time since last diet coke…8 hours. I am in withdrawal and the symptoms are showing.

Finally. The Diet coke is ready for consumption. In my addict like haste I whip open the refrigerator drawer and reach for the Diet Coke bottle. I make firm contact with the bottle…the fridge drawer's structural integrity however is not so firm and it comes tumbling to the ground in the most blunderous of fashions.

The good news: My diet coke is safe.

The bad news: The regular coke explodes with the fury of an HBOMB and decimates the kitchen.

BLUNDER CHART:
Bryan: 1
World: 0

Embarrassed, but refreshed and energized now that I had my fix, Schooly and I begin the clean up process co-op style.

That night we have a delicious Tex prepared meal. Something mexican. Schooly makes an epic speech.

Still no KP. We decide that he has died and host a small memorial. How surprised were we when it turns out he is alive and well and HBOMB bound still. Kanbo eventually arrives.

We take the most amazing group photo ever. Of all time.

We watch the Riff Trax version of Top Gun. Schooly's world crumbles around him.

I eventually go to sleep. I wake up at like 11 to the sound of "You slept in and we ate all of the breakfast."

Thats ok. Nothing could bum me out that day. We are going Skiing. (My favorite out door past time) "Bro! Do you even Ski?" they ask…answer: yes. We divide up into 2 teams. Team Sanic (Schooly, Tex, Ellesar and myself) and Team Comfy (The n00bs too terrified to strap wood to their feet and ride global warming.)

We depart for the Sundance slopes and hit the powder. We gotta go fast.
Schooly and Tex snowboard while Ellesar and I partake in the more refined, and sophisticated art of Skiing. Ellesar has never gone skiing before. There is a learning curve. He overcomes it. Sort of. Magnificent snow blunders were made, most notably involving Tex, her snowboard, a slow sign, a wooden school house, small children. (Video to follow in a few days.) While competing for the gold I take the time to also video tape our antics on my iPhone. According to the forums I am dumb and a terrible filmmaker and hold the iPhone the wrong way like a douchebag and should die or something. So sorry. We had a BLAST!

We survived Mt. Sundance, it was awesome.

The blunder count has shifted though:

Schooly: 70
Tex: 666
Ellesar: Infinite

We drive back to the cabin and see team comfy in the exact same spot we left them. In front of the tv playing vidja gaems.

Hot tub time. So it turns out, that when you are in an outdoor hot tub, your hair may freeze. Literally. Ice in your hair. To quote Jack Donaghy "If you are a white man with hair, the sky is the limit." My hair almost didn't survive.

Schooly almost died while slipping on the Ice. Naturally Ellesar's first instinct is to laugh. That made it funnier somehow. We are terrible people.

Sunday:

The incident… It's more than an episode of Lost. It's real. It Happened. It's Happening status was: It happened.

Some Snowmobile wrecking occurred, Rowboat and Ellesar were involved, that's about all I know. Suffice to say Halo.Bungie.Org Mountain Bash almost became Halo.Bungie.Org Mountain Burial.

I'll let others explain. I just make shitty skiing videos. I don't do write ups. Tex and Schooly became really good friends with a local neighborhood dog. It was adorable.

Blunder Count update:

Schooly: 45
Tex: 6666
Elessar: Infinity +1
Rowboat: Also a lot.

Sunday night…

Secret Santa time…KP was my santa. He in an act of pure epicness got me a Bungie draw bag, inside it was a bottle of diet coke and a Series One Mcfarlane Master Chief that had been signed by numerous Bungie employees. I was stunned. I have plenty of autographed 343 swag but other than a Marty signed copy of ODST, no Bungie swag.
Epic gift.

I was Schooly's santa. I got him a dreamcast game and the book "Weight Training for Dummies." I wrote "Bro…Do you even lift?" on the cover. It got good hearty laughs.

We stay up waaaaay to late. Nobody wants the evening to end. I watch Schooly almost die laughing from a youtube video…Something about E.T doing a Stone Cold impression while at a dairy queen. Funny stuff.

The morning. We head off to the airport…Nart is the first to leave at around 1…my first flight isn't until 8…I am at the airport for a long time.

Our farewells are heartfelt and somber… And so it was that the Fellowship though eternally bound by love and friendship…was ended. *Insert the rest of Frodo's speech, I forgot.

So many amazing thanks to Schooly for taking the time to arrange the event, drive, and basically everything else he did. Thanks to Nart for teaching me how to Pokemon. Thanks to Tex for dinner and for being the one person more inappropriate than me. Thanks to Avateur for the DBZ talk. Thanks to Wilshire for teaching me Mario Party. Thanks to KP for the most awesome secret santa gift ever. Thanks to Ellesar for "White People Problems". Thanks to Rowboat for not dying. Thanks to Kanbo for the LOL's. Thanks to Crazed for driving the other car and not killing us that one night out of anger.

This write up was poorly laid

out, missspelllled, and badly punctuated?>! I know I forgot details, I am certain that other people's write ups will be far superior, I am not a very good or patient writer. I can however say that I had an absolute blast, It was one of the best weekends of my life. It is always a magnificent feeling to get to meet new people and place faces to names. People that I have known for years, but have never met. When I think of my fellow HBOers I don't think of anyone as just "On line friends" I think of you all as "Friends". No distinction required. Great people, great event, great weekend.

I had so much fun. I am already anticipating HBOMB 2014: With a Vengence
HBOMB 2015: HBOMB Harder
HBOMB 2016: Live Free, or HBOMB
HBOMB 2017: A Good Day to HBOMB

Basically as long as Bruce Willis is alive we have HBOMBS.

(Note…I will post the ski video in a few days. Editing is a long and expensive process but seeing as we spent all the money on pies it should be done by Monday.)

Message Index

Replies:

HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Bryan Newman 1/27/13 1:23 a.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Tex 1/27/13 1:39 a.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Avateur 1/27/13 7:38 p.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Schooly D 1/27/13 11:19 p.m.
           Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Tex 1/28/13 12:11 a.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.Kermit 1/27/13 11:38 p.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.stabbim 1/28/13 12:25 p.m.
     Nice writeup, 10/10 would read again. A++++ *NM*The Lionheart 1/28/13 1:03 p.m.
     Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.elessar787 1/28/13 11:14 p.m.
           Re: HBOMB 2013 Write up... Newman style.j41m3z 1/28/13 11:56 p.m.
           You have my permission to blunder. *NM*Bryan Newman 1/29/13 2:45 a.m.
           Sometimes the blunder sends something back... *NM*Tex 1/29/13 12:34 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.