Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo Wars
Posted By: Quirel <I_am_quirel@hotmail.com>Date: 9/27/11 7:52 p.m.

In Response To: Feminist Analysis of Halo Wars (Dragonclaws)

Heh. Kinda nice to see that I influenced some of the video. Although I pronounce my name like 'Squirrel', minus the 'S'

Overall, it's a pretty good analysis. Just have a few thoughts that were kindled when you mused about the Halo Wars writers being aware of sexism.

On average, I don't think a lot of authors sit down and wonder "Is this a strong female character"? I find that writing a story is a process where characterization, plot, and 'cool ideas' coalesce and built upon each other. What a character is is interdependent on what they are expected to do and react to the planned events. When hack writers sit down to write a story, however, they don't think the story through, and the characters never grow past archetypes and stereotypes.

There is a caveat: Genre savvy authors who are nevertheless crappy writers will attempt to subvert the -types by changing surface details without addressing the cause of the -types.

-"So, having one black guy on the team who never wins the victories is tokenism? Well, I'll have three out of seven of the characters be black!"
Only, those three team members never end up doing anything useful, and are just filler. The chiche stands.

-"So, making my character beautiful beyond all measure, making her a friend to all living things, making it so that she doesn't make mistakes and everyone who isn't evil listens to her, and then completely burying her in purple prose makes her a Mary Sue? Ok, she looks average, is afraid of dogs, and is clumsy. In fact, she has few redeeming qualities whatsoever."
Yes, but she's still the center of the goshdarn universe, all the guys want her, and the only time when she's clumsy is when your narrative hangs the word clumsy on her like a frickin' necklace!

-"So, a girl needing the guy to come rescue her is sexist? Alright, let's have her escape the Covenant. I dunno... let's use that portal right there, and beam her down to Forge's position. So, she ends up here, those little Flood things leap at her, and Forge blasts them. A'right, call it a day!"
Where did that teleporter come from?
Why did the Elites wander off?
WHY DOES SHE STILL NEED FORGE TO SAVE HER?

I worked with a writing workshop at the local library, during and after NaNoWriMo '09. It was interesting, because these people had a bunch of neat ideas, but they definitely had a lot to learn.
I honestly don't know what was worse: the teenage guys who didn't recognize that action scenes aren't interesting to read without narrative, or the teenage girls who thought that Twilight and its imitators were the epitome of great writing.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Feminist AnalysesDragonclaws 9/16/11 2:24 a.m.
     Re: Halo Feminist AnalysesAsian Inferno 9/16/11 4:17 a.m.
           Re: Halo Feminist AnalysesAsian Inferno 9/16/11 4:34 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Feminist AnalysesDragonclaws 9/16/11 12:08 p.m.
     Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 3:42 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsAzo 'Galvat 9/27/11 4:19 p.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 4:29 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsJDQuackers 9/27/11 5:10 p.m.
                             Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 5:27 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsAzo 'Galvat 9/27/11 5:21 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsLeviathan 9/27/11 7:03 p.m.
                             Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 7:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsLeviathan 9/27/11 8:09 p.m.
                                         Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 8:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsLeviathan 9/27/11 9:04 p.m.
           Dat voice. *NM*Overdoziz 9/27/11 4:58 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsFyreWulff 9/27/11 7:48 p.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsLeviathan 9/27/11 8:28 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsLeviathan 9/27/11 9:08 p.m.
                             i WAS slightly confusedkidtsunami 9/27/11 10:02 p.m.
                                   Re: i WAS slightly confusedLeviathan 9/28/11 5:13 a.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/29/11 8:35 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsQuirel 9/27/11 7:52 p.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsDragonclaws 9/27/11 8:19 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsQuirel 9/27/11 10:32 p.m.
                             Re: Feminist Analysis of Halo WarsQuirel 9/28/11 12:57 a.m.
     You missed that her special power was frigidityscarab 9/28/11 1:48 a.m.
           Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditQuirel 9/28/11 2:27 a.m.
                 Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditscarab 9/28/11 5:02 a.m.
                       Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditFyreWulff 9/28/11 6:15 a.m.
                             Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditQuirel 9/28/11 9:45 a.m.
                                   Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/28/11 11:25 a.m.
                                         Engaged to girl or boy? *NM*scarab 9/28/11 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/28/11 11:33 a.m.
                                   Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditDragonclaws 9/30/11 4:38 p.m.
                       Re: You missed that her special power was frigiditDragonclaws 9/30/11 4:21 p.m.
     Feminist Analysis of i love beesDragonclaws 9/30/11 4:09 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of i love beesDragonclaws 10/5/11 3:34 a.m.
                 Great ILB overview!thebruce0 10/5/11 10:57 a.m.
                       Re: Great ILB overview!Dragonclaws 10/5/11 2:51 p.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of i love beesDragonclaws 10/14/11 11:18 p.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of i love beesDragonclaws 11/24/11 12:46 a.m.
     Re: Halo Feminist AnalysesDragonclaws 11/9/11 1:31 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.