glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

You know me... when I make a promise....
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 5/1/11 10:10 p.m.

Thankfully, I didn't promise to get the last few maps out quickly, and this is exactly why I don't make promises. If you're confused this follows on from here, which follows on from here, which started over here-- unfortunately the older links don't work as my file share and recent screenshots can only hold so much. This time clicking on the pictures will download the full-size version (instead of displaying it because b.net is weird like that).
First up is Tempest, which was interesting but not that visually interesting once I got out because of the low-resolution textures and simplified or missing geometry. Here's the saved film of that which will also let you look around (and doesn't involve film... basically I'm saying it's an odd name). I did find another box, this one much smaller, without collision (the camera can go through it) and black

Highlands was more interesting, if only because of one area, or rather three areas, to the point where pictures of the area don't seem to me to do it justice. So I made another video showing one of them specifically. All three ships have four things on their sides that look to me like doors. If you go in one of the pair further back, you'll find some planes not necessary to the outer structure that are black-- it looks like a hallway. I also found a small black box in each ship. The most striking thing though is the doors I mentioned-- they have some kind of design on them. It's not the Marathon logo or anything else that comes to mind but it seems familiar.
Last is Forge World. This was one I was able to get out of without putting myself in danger-- I remember there being mention of an out-of-map safe area and I thought I found it elsewhere but I guess I was mistaken. Going back around I got a picture of the beam tower

It doesn't have any collision but it's made of a surprising number of parts, I like the construction. During my exploring I happened to look at the Halo and sense of balance was tweaked for a split second-- it was bent. When I finally got to the edge of the map (the opposite one from where I noticed the effect) I got confirmation of what I thought it was.

The Halo on Forge World, or at least the bottom part, is made of overlapping flat segments. The top looks round but I can't get there so I don't know its structure.
In getting out there I got a real sense of distance, and turning around cemented it. If you thought Forge World was big you haven't seen anything yet.

This is a zoomed-in picture of all of Forge World...

and this is the same view zoomed out. I thought I'd get another picture, this next one is roughly the same view from almost as far back as I could get.

In exploring I found a few interesting things.

This, for example. Is it a face? a Grunt? a fire? it looks like to me like it must be something but I could be wrong.
This takes the cake though. This is the same texture used on every map where the water doesn't have full detail and animation, so I must've looked at it for hours, but I never noticed this. I could be mistaken but I think I see a certain number in this.

Looking at the ocean from a different direction and distance there's this

I'm almost certain at least one of those shows their favorite number, and it's all over campaign and in several of the multiplayer maps. I'm not sure I could ask for a better easter egg.
I'll be back with more cool stuff, and this time it'll be new. Soon.™

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

You know me... when I make a promise....General Vagueness 5/1/11 10:10 p.m.
     Re: You know me... when I make a promise....RC Master 5/2/11 7:53 a.m.
           Re: You know me... when I make a promise....DMFanella 5/2/11 8:13 a.m.
           Re: You know me... when I make a promise....Louis Wu 5/2/11 9:12 a.m.
     Re: You know me... when I make a promise....Decommissioner 5/2/11 8:30 a.m.
           Re: You know me... when I make a promise....General Vagueness 5/2/11 11:22 a.m.
                 You know me... I make image dumps. (plus video)General Vagueness 5/2/11 5:13 p.m.
                 You know me... I make image dumps. (plus video)General Vagueness 5/2/11 10:47 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.