Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: But CR = Idlers Paradise
Posted By: sharpsniper99Date: 2/27/11 4:34 a.m.

In Response To: Re: But CR = Idlers Paradise (FyreWulff)

: I think everyone agreed it required too much commitment, and Bungie said as
: much, and I agree that it did. I often found myself unranked for the
: season from not having enough time to get ranked.

Well 1-50 allowed players to have a crack at a playlist, get as high as they could, go play something else and then maybe come back 6 months later and rank up. I would never have got as high as I got with Halo 3 if I couldn't keep trying again later on. If I was constantly reset I would have probably lost interest as it would be harder to gauge where I stand. Sure as I improved I would have ranked up higher each season but knowing im going to lose what I earn in a few months would kill any sense of progression.

Another problem with the way Seasons work is that if you only have time to play early on in a season, you may get up to onyx early, then come back and have the surprise of being dropped by other players overtaking you. This problem is still going to exist with a 3 month arena, it almost reminds me of Ebay auctions, the guys who grind at the end are going to have a better understanding of the population ranks and know that if they grind late the rank they get is probably the rank they will get to keep.

Im going to give the new Arena a fair chance though and from what I can tell we as a community still dont understand all the changes. From the looks of it the new look Arena is going to be closer in format to the 1-50 system. Having a separate CR and Ranking system in itself will do a lot to deter second accounts, on Halo 3 having a 50 was the main goal, but you could argue that on Reach having a high trueskill rank AND good armour would be player investments, people would be less likely to want to make second accounts when they would need to put in the time commitment to get all the armour again.

: The only random amount is the slot machine, which is intended as a little
: bonus for playing the game, and everyone in the game gets the same slot
: machine result, so the base level of credits for everyone is still the
: same. The players that got more kills, more headshots and more sprees
: still end up with more cR and a higher Game Complete bonus. Those of
: higher rank get more cR for game complete than lower ranks, but it's
: always the same. If you ever notice, finishing a custom gives you more and
: more cR the higher your rank goes.

: Otherwise, it's exactly like CoD.. +X amount of cR for every instance of that
: action. The only difference is CoD ties this system to stuff like weapon
: unlocks and so on. Reach ties it to armor unlocking, which makes stuff
: like choosing to prestige in CoD pointless.

The CoD system is a lot more 'rigid' most of your ranking progression will come directly from completing challenges (similar to Reach's) or from directly getting kills/ capturing objectives/ getting assists. Winning games gives you a significant bonus, and simply getting lots of kills will help you rank up. With Reach the 10Cr for getting a kill means nothing in the long term when ranks can take hundreds of thousands. Most of the ranking up comes from the arbitrary and random game complete bonuses, your game performance can maybe add 300 CR which isnt much in this system.

Sure I understand that the CR system is much more about time commitment than skill, but as it stands as there is literally no meaningful bonus for doing well. The afk'ers can rank up pretty much just as quick as the proper players. There are also huge inconsistencies all throughout the CR system especially when it comes to daily challenges. Ultimately as the system is so odd the sense of accomplishment with ranking up doesn't exist, its all very random.

: Why do you find this impossible to occur? Have the customer join your lobby,
: with your gamertag at a certain rank. You and your 2 other highly skilled
: buddies proceed to play 3v4 against people well below your own rank. At
: the end of the game, all of you are submitted as beating the other team.
: But sure, I could go run a query and definitely a booster that took a
: customer to 50 without them having to play.

On paper that's possible, but I don't think you understand how much more difficult that is in practise - if you are playing against 30's every game you will never progress but if your playing against high 40's with a player afk your going to struggle to win no matter how good you are. If your telling me you have seen people go in with an afk'er every match and get them a 50 then im in shock. If matchmaking matched those guys against me and the guys I played we would have easily had map and power weapon control as we would be able to outnumber them in the initial power weapon rush and from that point on it would be a easy victory. If they really were better than us our number one target would have been the afk'er.

As I said these guys might have been able to get so far doing this but once they started to play against people who were taking it more seriously they would have hit a wall.

As for language boosting, that's still possible in Reach - its just that from my viewpoint people dont actually care enough about trueskill rank to bother with Reach.

: But even that is barely used now, as modders have found a way to get a 50 in
: one game by confusing the arbitration server. That method is very risky
: though, and can result in console ban instead of a gamertag ban.

External cheating is always going to happen but its going to be the minority of people who do this kind of thing, no doubt the same people are trying to do the same with Reach.

: Fun fact: the exact formula for Halo 2 50s was discovered. How? The account
: to be boosted simply had to lose their first game.. then you won them
: their next 110 games (exactly, and easy to do within an hour or two with
: modded maps/gametypes and bridging). They'd be a 50, regardless of the
: skill level of people in the game, due to a gigantic flaw in the formula.

Winning 110 games in a row isnt exactly easy :P - as you said people could cheat it, but thats less about the ranking system and more about the cheats that externally existed. That system could work quite well with Reach as modding and bridging doesn't exist. :P

Message Index

Replies:

Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orFyreWulff 2/26/11 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orPkmnrulz240 2/26/11 3:42 p.m.
     Excellent, excellent post *NM*mr_mcmurder 2/26/11 4:00 p.m.
     I agree with your opinion, good sir.snakegriffin 2/26/11 4:10 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orHyokin 2/26/11 4:14 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orZackDark 2/26/11 4:15 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orKalamariKidd 2/26/11 4:46 p.m.
     I don't play Arena...munky-058 2/26/11 4:54 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDEEP NNN 2/26/11 5:00 p.m.
           Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orGrimBrother One 2/26/11 5:05 p.m.
                 Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orLouis Wu 2/26/11 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDEEP NNN 2/26/11 5:13 p.m.
                             Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDani 2/26/11 6:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orFyreWulff 2/26/11 6:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDEEP NNN 2/26/11 7:02 p.m.
                                         Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDani 2/26/11 9:05 p.m.
                       Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orbluerunner 2/26/11 7:36 p.m.
                             Ranksdogcom 2/26/11 7:53 p.m.
                                   Re: RanksDEEP NNN 2/26/11 8:05 p.m.
                                         Re: RanksFyreWulff 2/26/11 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDEEP NNN 2/26/11 5:09 p.m.
                 Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orvlad3163 2/26/11 10:10 p.m.
     But CR = Idlers Paradisesharpsniper99 2/26/11 6:41 p.m.
           Re: But CR = Idlers ParadiseFyreWulff 2/26/11 7:05 p.m.
                 Re: But CR = Idlers ParadiseFyreWulff 2/26/11 7:15 p.m.
                 Re: But CR = Idlers Paradisesharpsniper99 2/27/11 4:34 a.m.
                       Re: But CR = Idlers Paradisesharpsniper99 2/27/11 5:04 a.m.
     PS. Fyrefulff, Gr1m?munky-058 2/26/11 6:46 p.m.
           Re: PS. Fyrefulff, Gr1m?FyreWulff 2/26/11 7:45 p.m.
                 Fyrefluff? That's OUSTANDING!munky-058 2/26/11 8:02 p.m.
     Nicedogcom 2/26/11 7:57 p.m.
     I actually read the whole thing. *NM*SonGoharotto 2/26/11 8:11 p.m.
           Bleep Bloop *NM*FyreWulff 2/26/11 8:12 p.m.
     Sup Devin OlsenFyreWulff 2/26/11 8:12 p.m.
           Re: Sup Devin OlsenDevin Olsen 2/26/11 8:37 p.m.
                 Re: Sup Devin OlsenFyreWulff 2/26/11 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Sup Devin OlsenSonGoharotto 2/26/11 9:04 p.m.
                       Re: Sup Devin OlsenArteenEsben 2/26/11 9:33 p.m.
                             Re: Sup Devin OlsenDevin Olsen 2/26/11 9:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Sup Devin Olsenmunky-058 2/26/11 10:09 p.m.
                                         Re: Sup Devin OlsenSonGoharotto 2/27/11 8:31 a.m.
                                   Re: Sup Devin OlsenGeneral Vagueness 2/26/11 10:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Sup Devin OlsenHawaiian Pig 2/27/11 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Sup Devin OlsenHawaiian Pig 2/27/11 4:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sup Devin OlsenGeneral Vagueness 2/27/11 5:52 p.m.
                 Re: Sup Devin OlsenBlueNinja 2/27/11 5:56 a.m.
     Nice post.Gravemind 2/27/11 2:44 a.m.
           Re: Nice post.DEEP NNN 2/27/11 8:20 a.m.
                 Re: Nice post.BlueNinja 2/27/11 9:49 a.m.
                       Re: Nice post.FyreWulff 2/27/11 10:07 a.m.
                             Re: Nice post.BlueNinja 2/27/11 12:00 p.m.
                             Re: Nice post.Gravemind 2/27/11 12:32 p.m.
           Re: Nice post.FyreWulff 2/27/11 9:38 a.m.
                 if you flag hold on my teamkidtsunami 2/27/11 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: if you flag hold on my teamFyreWulff 2/27/11 4:15 p.m.
                             ^ I have the same mindset as you two.NsU Soldier 2/27/11 7:33 p.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orZogen 2/27/11 4:29 a.m.
     Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orzonemanwilf 2/27/11 4:42 a.m.
           Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orDEEP NNN 2/27/11 9:07 a.m.
           Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orFyreWulff 2/27/11 10:05 a.m.
           Re: Why We Should Never Go Back to 1-50.. orKalamariKidd 2/27/11 10:17 a.m.
     Some notes....RC Master 2/27/11 11:09 a.m.
           Re: Some notes....FyreWulff 2/27/11 11:47 a.m.
                 Re: Some notes....RC Master 2/28/11 9:28 a.m.
                       Re: Some notes....FyreWulff 2/28/11 10:01 a.m.
     Wholeheartedly agree *NM*kidtsunami 2/28/11 12:05 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.