Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

IBO Beach Party
Posted By: JillybeanDate: 8/18/09 4:09 a.m.

Quote of the event: So how come no one ever does write ups any more? - Schooly D

After impromptu American Football at Deadly Night, someone on IBO suggested we get together for a beach party. Like, because internet people are so 'at one' with nature? See what we were doing there? No? Fuck that then.

And so it came to be that Miguel, Furhman and myself piled into a piping hot car on Friday afternoon and braved the taxi drivers of New York to attempt IBO's first ever beach party. After being only slightly sidetracked by some amazing shopping (how long did you spend there on the way back, Mig?) we found ourselves creekside and Mig happily broke into a house and started eating food. Seriously folks. Why do none of you lock things? Why do you have a three storey shop dedicated to M&Ms? Why are cheese pretzels so disgusting when they look like they should be so good?

Anyhoo, initial exploration introduced us to Half Sunk Lizzy and the Pillar of Autumn. Soon afterwards, Alexion and Domino appeared. I gather that they had a totally relaxing and calming drive up. That was the impression I got. Then restamolah, Schooly D and Infinite Se7en returned from food shopping and were unperturbed at the breaking and entering (freaks). Someone may or may not have set about boosting the neighbour's unsecured wireless. I wouldn't know anything about that.

Upon request, Furhman, Domino, Infinite and myself were taken by retsamolah to see the newly christened Beach Schooly D where the shit was going to get real. The area was absolutely beautiful, warm weather, lots of sun. Jynx showed up when we returned and then left to get some decent beer, because light Bud sucks. He bought Guinness. I always liked him. Schooly D then got all domestic on us and started to grill some burgers and hot dogs. Amazingly, no food poisoning set in.

Nof completed our group by appearing later in the evening, straight from work, looking dapper in his work gear. This was soon rectified by a trip to the beach. Along with Betsy, naturally. Men tried to make fire. Men, rather surprisingly, actually made fire. We watched the shooting stars, Alexion and I lauded Red Dwarf, we all regressed a few years and sang 'Good Riddance' on a beach, by a fire, to acoustic guitar. Replete with obligatory mumbling. Also 'I Will Survive', which was an odd choice, but remarkably fun.

(Wherein rets is a demon)

We returned that night to the house where we had our set up on the porch. Three x-boxes between ten of us and three small monitors. Projector unexpectedly unco-operative. I think Schooly D sabotagued it in order to ensure he got more Robot Voot Wars (or whatever that pretty kaleidoscope of colours was) time. We played some CTF and territories on Halo 3 before we discovered . . .

Nof's Awesome Gametype (NAG)
Super low gravity.
Multi CTF
Random guns.
Gravity Hammers.

This game is great fun. I think we should have played more of it. But not on that effing Two Face/Facing Twos (whatever it's called) map. That map hates me. Halfvalanche was kinda fun, but by this point I was knackered. I have to say, at this point I really did miss Louis Wu, if only because it would have given rets and schooly someone else to no scope. Because it's not an IBO lan without ice cream at odd hours, we cracked out two large tubs that didn't last long. I retired to bed and I think a few people stayed up, but I've no idea who.

Incidentally, Domino sleeps like a log. No matter how much noise I made fumbling about he didn't wake up. The next morning I found Infinite Se7en curled up on two canvas chairs, his head hanging off the end. It looked about as comfortable as it sounds. Furhman was on the couch at one point too.

When Mig woke up, things got more civilised as he made pancakes. Nof went on to prepare:

Nof's Awesome Turkey Burgers
Turkey mince
Cumin seeds
Garlic (I think)
Garlic bread crumbs.
Possibly an egg, I didn't pay that much attention. However, he will post it in this thread and I will adopt it as my own.

It was time to storm Beach Schooly D. Since the tide was out, Mig, Alexion and myself led the initial charge in the canoe. Mostly by pushing our way along the sand banks until we got to Beach Schooly D. We saw off the rival old couple and staked our claim on the sand. Nof, Domino and Infinite Se7en appeared, then Furhman, Schooly and rets. Schooly and rets stole the canoe and Half Sunk Lizzy to go back for Jynx and the grill, so Mig and Nof explored the beach.

(That's a Halo - it was going to be a Mister Chief but neither myself nor Nof could remember what he looked like)

(That's Coagulation)

Pretty soon we were all in the water - then the most amazing thing happened. The Pillar of Autumn returned, revamped as Beer and Grill Boat. There is little in life that is so good as lying on your back in the sea with a beer in one hand and the sound of 'how the fuck do we get the grill off the boat' coming from behind you.

Then came our American Water Football session. Which is surprisingly tiring. I can't tackle for shit. Jynx tackles Schooly. A lot. Schooly runs in Jynx's direction. A lot. Game stops for 'strategy'. A lot. Americans are weird. We eventually gave up and limped back up to the beach, compared our slashed feet, and lit the grill eventually using all of our paper plates. Grill was good.

(Grill Master)

Mig tried digging to China. We decided to check the internet connection on the beach. In dribs and drabs we went back until Infinite, Domino, Schooly, Rets and myself were left with the Beer and Grill Boat and went tubing. It was as amazing as it sounds. Infinite's scarily good at it.

(This is scary, but not in the scarily good way . . .)

After we got back (and in what is possibly the only occasion where a LAN attender wore a summer dress to part of it) we chowed down on Mig Pasta Chow, which is another good recipe that should be posted. We then went to see District 9 which I'd describe as a visceral, but brilliant movie. Taps into some freaky body fears though. More Halo was played. Rets and I did the most bitching rendition of Caledonia you'll ever hear. We played a little Halo 1 and were quickly reminded about the differences in warthog physics.

Next morning, as I had gotten quite used to not rowing by this point, Schooly and Rets rowed around the creek while I sunbathed. It is the life, I tell you. When we got back I'm sure some robot wars was played, possibly some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (Donatello why did you fail me in Survival Mode?) Alexion and Domino hit the road, as happy and relaxed about it as they were when they arrived. Mig made:

Mig Chow (Original)
Potatoes,
Cumin seeds,
Spinach,
Broccoli,
Some other stuff I'm sure he will post that recipe too . . .

Jynx and Furhman left, Nof had to be reminded to leave, Mig headed out. Infinite, Schooly, Rets and myself took the Beer and Grill Boat to Sand Hill, which included Schooly breaking the boat by trying to open a beer, and then nearly breaking his teeth trying to drink it. Sand Hill is steep, but next time we'll have a bonfire there. Upon return we played Scrabble where I had a hand that included 10 I's. That worked out well for me. Fucking Scrabble. Forced people to use glue on their feet, to witness their pain. Infinite Se7en is always getting called by chicks by the way. After about two hours sleep, we were on the road again to the airport, fittingly, to the 'Boys of Summer'.

(Light, the natural enemy of the geek)

(It's such a good thing you can't see my incredible pattern of bruises in this pic)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is this write-up so long? Well, I had a brilliant time back at Deadly Night. I loved New York, I loved the atmosphere of the LAN. Since then I have been desperate for another LAN but I had no idea what was coming with the beach party but all I can say is that it completely surpassed all my expectations. There are so many hilarious moments I keep remembering and trying to add to this. So a huge, huge thank you to all of you guys - especially Mig and his family for putting me up and feeding me. The rest of you for making it so much fun. Sam for hosting (and for trying his very best not to use the camp councillor voice)

HBO: We Deliver.

Message Index

Replies:

IBO Beach PartyJillybean 8/18/09 4:09 a.m.
     Re: IBO Beach PartyGeneral Vagueness 8/18/09 9:01 a.m.
     Glad you packed a suit, mate.SonofMacPhisto 8/18/09 10:10 a.m.
     Recipes. There are recipes in this write up. *NM*Stuntmutt 8/18/09 10:58 a.m.
           The Recipe for Nof's Gobbleburgersnof 8/18/09 8:23 p.m.
                 Thank you!Jillybean 8/19/09 10:05 a.m.
     Re: IBO Beach PartyMiguel Chavez 8/18/09 10:59 a.m.
           Weeeeeeeeeeee! Ctfnof 8/18/09 8:27 p.m.
     ThingsSchooly D 8/18/09 11:21 a.m.
           Brofist *NM*retsamolah 8/18/09 12:38 p.m.
           Re: ThingsDominoEffect 8/18/09 2:24 p.m.
                 Re: Thingsurk 8/18/09 7:34 p.m.
                       Re: ThingsDominoEffect 8/21/09 3:12 a.m.
                             Re: Thingsurk 8/21/09 10:09 a.m.
                                   DominoTheory/DominoEffect *NM*Cocopjojo 8/21/09 11:17 a.m.
           Re: ThingsKP 8/18/09 6:40 p.m.
     Wait...Ross Mills 8/18/09 4:43 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.