Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Thanks Narcogen + addtional personal thoughts
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 11/4/08 2:09 a.m.

In Response To: Thanks Narcogen + addtional personal thoughts (SonofMacPhisto)

: That was very well written, and I enjoyed reading it. It seems to be where my
: thoughts were originally going, and appreciate you writing that.

: Your single player only vs. multiplayer only mention was extremely
: compelling. That is the reason I bought Half-Life 2, The Orange Box,
: Bioshock, and Mass Effect. It's why I love games - awesome single player
: experiences.

: I play Halo 3 because of the campaign mainly, but it becomes my FAVORITE
: because of the friends that I've met and played with. While those other
: games, in my mind, have more enjoyable single player experiences, the
: community I've met through Halo 3 brings me back. I've played Mass Effect
: twice through, and have deeply enjoyed it - but now I'm back to seeing
: GreySpark, elpolloguapo, mendicantbias00, znite, and everyone else, I want
: to jump RIGHT back to Halo.

: All this is possible because of the functionality of the multiplayer system.

: Team Fortress 2 was one of my biggest disapointments because of what you
: mentioned - a PC model ported to a console. Honestly, I was lost the first
: time I booted up because I was so used to how slick Halo 3 is. TF2 is such
: a cool shooter, I wish it had the party system of Halo 3 to increase the
: functionality.

Sure. Multiplayer extends the life of games, just like mods do. No single player experience is going to be compelling enough to be the only one you need, ever. Even people who have favorite books or movies and re-read or re-watch them every year still watch other films and read other books.

I think what goes on with Halo is something like that, except that because of the multiplayer aspect and the finite console lifespans, instead of something like yearly cycles, games get worn down and worn out until there's nothing left in them, and then they're abandoned. If Halo 3 was only the campaign experience I think it would have sold nearly as well, but it would not be on top of the XBL list (even considering that H3 is Live-aware and reports you as a unique player even if you are playing campaign, and not multi. Those watching the COD4/H3 battle always seem to overlook that.) Look at Bioshock; it was near the top after release but faded faster than H3 did, due to the same people coming back for more.

However, from an economic perspective, a single player game pays off better. You make the game, it sells, you're done. Maybe you do some DLC.

Bungie has to maintain Bungie.net. Has to update playlists. They've done some maps-- some free, some for pay. You have to pay for XBL but that goes to MS; I don't think Bungie gets a cut of that. That's why things like Bungie Pro aren't free. The people who pay for the extra features they want are covering the costs of basic service for everyone.

http://rampancy.net/blog/narcogen/04/11/2008/Killi

Message Index

Replies:

Cinema Blend console multiplayer.Red_Breast 11/3/08 3:51 p.m.
     Re: Cinema Blend console multiplayer.XMixMasterX 11/3/08 4:11 p.m.
           'I find your lack of faith disturbing'SonofMacPhisto 11/3/08 5:03 p.m.
                 Re: 'I find your lack of faith disturbing'Relative Assessment 11/3/08 5:49 p.m.
                       Re: 'I find your lack of faith disturbing'Louis Wu 11/3/08 6:12 p.m.
                             Re: 'I find your lack of faith disturbing'SonofMacPhisto 11/3/08 7:16 p.m.
                             Lack of disturbanceNarcogen 11/3/08 11:24 p.m.
                                   Thanks Narcogen + addtional personal thoughtsSonofMacPhisto 11/4/08 12:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Thanks Narcogen + addtional personal thoughtsNarcogen 11/4/08 2:09 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.