Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of post*
Posted By: Avateur <avateur@gmail.com>Date: 7/16/08 2:27 p.m.

In Response To: Halo Wars on IGN Livewire shortly (Free) (Urban Reflex)

: http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html

: At 1200 Pacific, IGN should be covering Halo Wars. Doubt we'll see anything
: new but I figured you guys might want to see. I think they might be
: running a few minutes behind.

Alright, so. Uh. I'm still trying to figure out the Spartan II situation. The game looks pretty fun to me, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions.

From the HSP, we know this:

Spartan II's - 1st group, 2517

150 original candidates out of which there was funding for only half (FoR Ch. 2)

75 total pre-augmentation (stated several times; FoR Ch.4 also mistakenly mentions "seventy-four"; as well, there other reports of 67, etc.)

30 died during surgery ("Thirty candidates had 'washed out' of the Spartan program; they died during the augmentation process." FoR Ch.7)

12 crippled in surgery (FoR Ch.7 "There were a dozen others, though, who had lived... but were no longer soldiers."; "The other dozen, suffering from side effects of the process, had been permanently reassigned within the Office of Naval Intelligence.")

33 left in the squad ("There were only thirty-two soldiers left in his squad [besides John?]" FoR Ch.7; "John glanced around the launch chamber; Sam, Kelly, and thirty others still stood at attention in their black dress uniforms [1+2+30=33]" FoR Ch.7; "The other Spartans stood at attention. Thirty-three - too many for this operation." FoR Ch. 9)

We know that 3 are away (Gray Team, which will be the subject of the next novel). 3 others are MIA (KIA) between 2542-2552 (so after Halo Wars). Samuel-034 ends up MIA (KIA) in 2525. And we have one other seriously wounded.

This leaves 25 present at Reach before splitting into Red and Blue teams. However, it is stated that there are 30 Spartans at Reach at the beginning of H1/First Strike

During the demo, it was stated that there are Spartan IIs because this is at a time when a lot were still alive. Well, we can add back the 3 that were around before 2542, and I can assume that we can add back Gray Team. So now, depending on whether or not we go with 25 or 30 Spartans at Reach, we have 31 or 36 possible Spartans at Harvest (I'm including Blue team and Red team regardless of how unlikely many of them are, which includes Master Chief, of course). We may be able to bump this number to 32 or 37 if we include that seriously wounded Spartan.

Well, if I can just pump out the Spartan units in Halo Wars, I'm sure eventually I'll end up losing nearly every single one of those 32-37 units during the game. I could be wrong. And like I said, some of the Spartan IIs are extremely unlikely to have ever been sent to Harvest or with Cole, and others even have "understood" confirmations that they were elsewhere at these times.

*SPOILER BELOW*

Of course, a lot of these "washed out" Spartans could have pulled an ONI and made it seem like they died, sort of like with Kurt in Ghosts of Onyx. Hell, maybe Kurt even made it to Harvest once. Who knows. I suppose that could make our number of Spartans rise to 33-37, or higher considering possible "washed out" Spartans being a cover-up.

*SPOILERS OVER*

Either way, there's going to be a lot of explaining to do. Hopefully the story checks out. As I (and many others have been saying), it was also stated that Ensemble has been working very closely with Bungie. I liked what I saw.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars on IGN Livewire shortly (Free)Urban Reflex 7/16/08 1:55 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars on IGN Livewire shortly (Free)onebitrocket 7/16/08 2:19 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars on IGN Livewire shortly (Free)Cthulhu117 7/16/08 2:20 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars on IGN Livewire shortly (Free)Avateur 7/16/08 2:28 p.m.
     Demo review.Urban Reflex 7/16/08 2:23 p.m.
     Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of post*Avateur 7/16/08 2:27 p.m.
           Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postelpolloguapo 7/16/08 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postdetranova 7/16/08 5:01 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postOmega 7/16/08 5:15 p.m.
                             Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postBlueNinja 7/17/08 4:16 a.m.
                                   Grey team? *NM*Urban Reflex 7/17/08 5:58 a.m.
                       Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postPeptuck 7/16/08 5:22 p.m.
           Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postPeptuck 7/16/08 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postAvateur 7/16/08 5:23 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postPeptuck 7/16/08 7:03 p.m.
                             Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postAvateur 7/16/08 7:05 p.m.
                             Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postGeneral Vagueness 7/16/08 7:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postMetalingus627 7/16/08 9:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postFree Weights 7/16/08 10:24 p.m.
                                               Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postPeptuck 7/16/08 11:37 p.m.
                                               Evil Dead II reference FTW! Nice!SonofMacPhisto 7/16/08 11:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postPeptuck 7/16/08 11:41 p.m.
           Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postUNSC_Trooper 7/17/08 5:50 a.m.
                 Re: Spartan analysis *GoO spoiler near end of postUNSC_Trooper 7/17/08 6:52 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.