Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: That said...
Posted By: Cody MillerDate: 1/1/08 9:58 p.m.

In Response To: That said... (Louis Wu)

: He's right - it's a great discussion. (Well, minus the pompous posturing from
: some of the posters.)

Yeah, why are they dogging on the cutscenes? Not fewer than three posters called the cinematics attrocious. Are they being facetious? Because, in my opinion Halo 3 contains some of the best cinematics I've seen in a videogame.

But you know, they have a point about the storytelling. The first half of the game DID have no plot. Nothing you did moved the narrative forward until you warped to the ark. Nothing you did in any of the levels really had any sort of nessessary effects on the next ones. Every level in Halo had a puropse, that moved the plot forward, and had a lasting effect on the narrative as well as the general understanding of the Halo universe. The first five levels of Halo 3 did nothing at all. No sense of meaningful accomplishment, no important narrative developments, and no lasting effects on the narrative.

Think of it this way: what if you were telling someone the short version?

Halo 1: You crash onto Halo and have to rescue your captured captain, who learns that Halo is a weapon. You go find the control room to stop the covenant from activating it, only to discover that keyes unleashed the flood onto Halo. You're tricked into almost firing Halo to stop the flood, which would destroy all life in the galaxy. So, you blow up Halo instead.

Halo 3: The chief follows Truth to the ark, which can activate all the Halos. The arbiter kills truth, but the gravemind turns on them. The chief rescues cortana, and uses the index to fire the unfinished Halo, destroying the ark and the gravemind.

Every level but keyes is in Halo 1's summary, but only 4 of Halo 3's levels ring true in it's summary. Not perfect, but see what I mean? Most of the levels in Halo 3 don't matter at all.

Message Index

Replies:

Squabbling with Halo's StoryLoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 7:37 p.m.
     Link please? *NM*Siber 1/1/08 9:00 p.m.
           Link, indeed.Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                 That said...Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                       Re: That said...LoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 9:33 p.m.
                       Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/1/08 9:58 p.m.
                             There isn't much new info after H2....Fires7orm 1/1/08 10:38 p.m.
                                   I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 1:53 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Cody Miller 1/2/08 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*OldNick 1/2/08 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*reprobate 1/2/08 9:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/2/08 10:13 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Peptuck 1/2/08 11:23 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/3/08 8:43 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/4/08 7:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/5/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*scarab 1/5/08 8:56 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*LoneRanger 2.5 1/5/08 10:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/5/08 9:04 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/6/08 2:17 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Gravemind 1/1/08 11:20 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cthulhu117 1/2/08 6:19 p.m.
                             Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/2/08 1:50 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...reprobate 1/2/08 9:59 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 11:36 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...reprobate 1/3/08 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/2/08 1:51 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...X42-C1 1/2/08 2:10 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...KaiserKold 1/2/08 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/3/08 10:35 a.m.
     Re: Squabbling with Halo's StoryWarp2 1/4/08 10:59 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.