Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Campaign Saved Films?
Posted By: scarabDate: 6/22/07 8:07 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Campaign Saved Films? (Red_Breast)

: Don't know if he's said anything about Halo3. Or if he has a 360 either.
: He traded Halo2 in a few weeks after release. I don't know how he came across
: Halo but I'm sure he'd want to try a bit of Halo3 first to see if it had
: potential.

If Rockslider puts Halo 3 on his site then you'll know its a worthy sucessor to Halo ;-)

I can't wait to see the new AI in action.

Will the NPCs be genuinely cleverer or will Bungie just tone down the handicaps that they were given in the first 2 games? (For example: Grunts warn you b4 they throw grenades, enemies miss sometimes when they shoot at you, they don't all rush you when you take cover to recharge your shields.)

I'm most interested to know how it feels to fight them. Will I be impressed by their new tricks and behaviours? (Viewing the NPCs as fine examples of AI coding)

Or will I feels like I'm fighting genuine people? (as opposed to a collection of AI subroutines)

The Halo NPCs have character. Well, the Elites and Grunts have.

The Grunts make me luagh and I respect their pluckiness. They aren't very bright but they are very brave considering that they are small and without armor, whilst I'm a 7 foot tall armored cyborg. OTOH their wit is not a dumb wit, you can tell that Joe was having fun delivering those lines.

I respect the Elites as enemies. In Halo you could see that they had a sense of honor and a warrior code.

I just wonder what the Covenant NPCs will be like in Halo 3.

I wasn't impressed by the h2 Brutes. The Halo 3 Brutes have had a cosmetic makeover. They look pretty good, infinitely better than in h2.

Will their character improve as well? Or will they still be annoying monkeys?

The Brute vid-doc made reference to the Brute pack mentality. Is this something genuinely new or is it just good teamwork?

What would be the difference between fighting a pack of Brutes and fighting a team of Elites?

We've seen Grunt pack behaviour, will Brute packs be the same, only with bigger members? (Can you imagine Brutes running off screaming "Run away! Run away!"?)

Will Brute pack behaviour just be, copy the leader? "Leader throw grenade, me throw grenade."

Or will Bungie do more?

They have already shown that they know how to sell NPCs as real characters. The combat dialog and their reliance on 'real' senses to percieve the world make them seem more real.

Will Bungie improve on this?

Adrian Perez asked what makes two NPCs act together. That's a very pertinent question. It suggests that he looking at giving the NPCs beleivable behaviours that happen 'naturally'.

I think that if Bungie want to sell us the idea of Brutes being genuine 'people' then they will have to be thinking along those lines and will have to concentrate on combat dialog, animations, and group dynamics as much as they concentrate on giving the units new tricks.

If they succeed then I can imagine Rockslider and I enjoying killing Covenant in a new Bungie game.

Message Index

Replies:

Campaign Saved Films?The Lamonster 6/20/07 7:55 p.m.
     Re: Campaign Saved Films?Sir Topham Hat 6/20/07 11:40 p.m.
           Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. *NM*The Lamonster 6/21/07 1:40 a.m.
           Re: Campaign Saved Films?Cody Miller 6/21/07 7:04 a.m.
                 Re: Campaign Saved Films?scarab 6/21/07 8:00 a.m.
                       Re: Campaign Saved Films?Red_Breast 6/21/07 6:34 p.m.
                             Re: Campaign Saved Films?scarab 6/22/07 8:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Campaign Saved Films?Red_Breast 6/22/07 9:20 a.m.
                                         Re: Campaign Saved Films?Rockslider 6/25/07 4:51 p.m.
                                               Re: Campaign Saved Films? Lovely weatherRed_Breast 6/26/07 7:12 a.m.
                                                     Re: Campaign Saved Films? Lovely weatherRockslider 6/26/07 5:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Campaign Saved Films? Still raining.Red_Breast 6/27/07 10:23 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Campaign Saved Films? Still raining.Rockslider 6/28/07 3:23 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Campaign Saved Films? Rain break.Red_Breast 7/1/07 1:21 p.m.
                                               Re: Campaign Saved Films?One One Seven 7/1/07 3:04 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.